XVII - baby just say yes

When they finally arrived at the lakes, it was later than they expected. They climbed out of the car and walked to their cabin, the same cabin they would go to every year. When they walked in, Taylor realised it hadn't changed much but Joe had arranged there be one bed instead of two.

"Joseph, why is there only one bed?" Taylor said with an angry undertone.

"I'm sorry babe, I just thought that um..." he stuttered, struggling to explain himself.

Taylor walked over to him and wrapped her arm around him from behind. "I was joking babe, I don't mind at all," she said laughing softly.

"Good." Joe smiled with her. "Are you tired? It's already 6:30," he said, checking his watch.

"A little," she said, resting her body weight onto his back. "Can we just order from a nearby restaurant or something?"

"Of course. We can unpack a bit afterwards and go to bed early." he replied, loosening her grip and picking up his phone.

When they had finished dinner, they both started unpacking their luggages. Since they always went on business trips, they did it quickly. When Taylor went to the bathroom, Joe made sure the door was closed and took out a small black box from the side pocket of his suitcase, breathing a sigh of relief when he saw the contents were still safe inside. Just when he heard the toilet flush, he hurriedly stored it away in the drawer of his bedside table.

"Hey babe," Taylor said coming back out. "I'm not tired anymore."

Joe raised an eyebrow in suspicion. "Are you sure?"

Taylor swiftly nodded. "Yeah. Do you wanna go on a walk?"

Joe nodded and led her to the door, grabbing her coat and helping her put it on.

They chose the short path behind their cabin that would take at most an hour to go and return. Hands intertwined, they walked along the path and chatted about random things.

"When are we meeting your parents again?" Taylor asked.

"We can arrange something for when we get back," Joe said.

"I want to tell them about our little secret," Taylor said.

"Ah so do I. I know they will be so excited about it."

"Really?"

"My mum has been nagging me ever since we reunited." Joe laughed.

"My mom told me about how she and Liz would fantasize about us growing up and falling love when we were children y'know."

"They weren't wrong."

"I think we can tell my family when we go over to Nashville in October. We're going on the 4th, right?"

"5th," Joe corrected.

"You know how you thought it was going to be a girl earlier in the car?"

"Well I don't have any preference, I just feel like it would be."

"We should think about some names. Any ideas?"

"Not at the moment. We can look at that book you bought when we get back to the city."

"I lied. I stole it from my mom when I was ten." Taylor blushed embarrassedly.

"You've been planning this since you were ten? Well you've got to have some names, spill them."

"Umm... So far I've got Dorothea, Augustine and Ivy for a girl, then Matthew, James and William for a boy."

"I like all of those. We should decide when we find out the gender though."