PROLOGUE

Past

Loud yellings and sobs echoed throughout the living room as two parents were arguing in front of their child. The boy who was sobbing uncontrollably stood in between the parents with his hands clasped together. His knees and elbows showed visible bruises and scratches and his polo striped shirt has stained dirt

"If only you know how to take care of your child, he wouldn't be hurt!" The woman yelled at the man. 

"If you had kept an eye on him, he wouldn't come home scathed! I told you not to let him out of your sight! It's you who doesn't know how to take care of your child!" The man yelled back at his wife. 

"How dare you!" The woman pushed the man harshly. "I've been taking care of David ever since and all you do is bury yourself from work. You don't even spend time with him. You wouldn't even bat an eye on him!" 

"I am working my ass off so that both of you could have a sustainable and peaceful life. So, that I could provide David with his needs and wants. And you tell me I don't know how to take care of him?! " 

"That's not my point! You know nothing about your son's needs and wants! You don't know anything about him!" 

"Are you implying that I don't know how to be a father to my own son?!" 

"Yes! Because you never wanted him in the first place! You never wanted to be with me in the first place!" The woman yelled with tears welling up in her eyes. "If not for this fixed marriage, I would have lived my life happily and I wouldn't have a child to bear my whole life!"

The husband stilled and stared at his wife. Seemingly in shock at the words that came out of her mouth out of anger and frustration. But it wasn't only the husband who was shocked at his wife. Also, his son looking up at his supposedly loving mother. 

The child has stopped crying and was just staring in awe with his eyes welled up in tears while letting out little hiccups. Little did the parents know, their child was smart. Smart enough to understand words. And he understood what her mother meant in her last sentence. 

.

.

.

.

"Mama, I don't want to do this." The boy looked up at his mother who had a stoic face. 

"Stay still, Dominick. We have guests downstairs. I want you to look your best. People will look at you so you have to look presentable." The mother ignored his son's plead as she try to tie a bowtie around his son. 

The boy pouted. "I don't want to play the piano, Mama. I want to play in my room---" 

"Will you shut it?! Stop being stubborn and let me tie this around you! People are waiting for you to entertain them so stop your whining!" The mother stood up from her knees and her nostrils flared up in frustration. 

Her son shook in fear as his mother raised her voice at him. For a 6-year-old child, he was sensitive to being yelled at.

 He let out a hiccup and tears started falling from his eyes. He kept his head down as he tried to hide his tears. 

Just when the mother saw tears dripping down on the floor, she woke up from her frustration and realize what she's done and said to her son. She immediately felt apologetic and as she was about to kneel to reach her son's height, a man carried her son in his arms. It was her husband