Chapter 7- Harsh Reality

"Sir, I'm not the best person for this," I shouted, scared out of my mind.

       "What did I tell you about calling me that? And fucking get over it, kid," Levi yelled back at me, making me flinch.

       "Y/N! Just don't look down!" Hange called.

       "Wow, what a help," I grumbled, jumping from one of the tall trees in this forest into a suicide dive, clenching my jaw, shooting a hook at the last moment possible and swinging onto the tree that Hange and Levi watched from.

        "Are you trying to kill yourself on purpose?" Levi growled.

        "It would be fun, wouldn't it? Too bad I can't die," I cooed to him.

        "You say that now, but you'll be decapitated ten minutes into your first mission," Levi scowled. "And if not by a titan, then by myself."

       I winced at his comment. "That's not true," I hummed.

      "Then get up and prove it, Cadet."

      "Fine."

      I look over the edge of the giant branch, and looked back at the two of them. Turning around with a loopy grin, I kick my foot up, putting my fist on my heart in a salute as I fell.

     I gulped, clenching the Hand grips. My eyes darted around the area, and I shot my grappling hooks in nearby trees, relaxing into the pull.

I continued to shoot and release my two hooks, flying through the trees with a sense of euphoria. This really isn't as scary as I make it out to be, but I always have fear of this.

     Maybe it's the thought of falling, or a wrong move? I guess I wouldn't know until it happens.

     "Hey! Slow down! Both of you!" Hange yelled out.

    I turned my head to see Levi very close behind me, and Hange far off.

    I noticed the Levi shot his hooks ahead of me, so I released one of my hooks, shooting it to the left of me and doing the same with the other. Hopefully, it would throw him off a bit since I was being predictable before, going in a straight line.

I kept my eyes forward with a big grin. This was quite fun! Looking back, I saw Levi had changed his direction also, but he was going the opposite direction. I figured we'd meet in the middle of the semi-circles we were going in, and I wanted to play along.

Approaching the middle, we locked eyes. I gave Levi a fun smile, shooting my hooks at the bottom of two trunks, and I embraced for impact and curled into a tight ball.

I hit the grass, rolling, and I quickly got to my feet to get a running start at a tree. I grabbed the lowest branch, lifting myself up and climbed until I reached a branch that was only suitable to hold me. I slouched against it, watching as Hange and Levi land above me.

"That was boring!" I shout at the two in a whine, and with a smirk. "Can we go back now? Oh, and can one of you help me down?"

"Erwin did ask us to take her to the stables sometime today, Levi," Hange mentioned, looking at Levi's annoyed expression. "Upset because the girl's smart?" Hange put their left arm around Levi's shoulders.

"No, we'll head to the stables now. Erwin did want the kid to pick out a few projects to start on," Levi nodded, laying his left hand on Hange's for a few seconds before grabbing it and taking it off of his shoulder. He spun, hand in hand still, and looked Hange in the eyes.

Hange's face fell. She knew that look in his eyes and squeezed his hand. "Would you like to talk once we get back, Levi?" Hange spoke softly.