Prologue

Your usual cafe is only a few seconds from your apartment. Your usual cafe makes your coffee perfectly and has the best sweets to go with it. Your usual cafe is the perfect environment to do study in - it's comfortable, predictable, safe.

So why you took a different turn this Thursday morning and headed for another cafe down the street, you had no idea. You'd walked past it countless times, always thinking to yourself that you should check it out one day, but you never had.

Until now.

Walking in, feeling the warmth, was an instant relief. Then you took in the scenery as you unwrapped the scarf around your neck before brushing off some snow from your coat. It was cozy, with a mix of old furniture that would not have worked if it was placed in any other space.

As you took in the exposed brick behind the bar counter, the art and the old guitars hanging on the sidewalls, and the piano that was standing on what could only be a stage, you wondered why you'd never gone in before now.

The young barista, Lucy - you read her name tag, gives you a warm smile as you walk over. "Hey, what can I get you?" she says as you glance over at the handwritten chalkboard menu behind her. "I'll have a double latte" you glance over at the baked goods, "and a cinnamon bun, please" you decide.

She nods, "are you staying in, or taking it with you?" she asks as she lifts the glass food cover. "Staying in" you smile before looking around to find a place to sit. She puts the cinnamon bun on a small plate before entering your items on the till, as you pay you make sure to leave a little tip.

"I'll bring the coffee over when it's done," she tells you, you thank her as you take your plate, finding a table near the window with a big chair that almost looks too comfortable. Carefully putting the plate down as you sit down before sliding your bag off your shoulder, setting it next to the chair.

You set the plate to the side, making room for your computer and book. Just as you've set everything up, Lucy comes over with your coffee, you thank her again as you reach out for it. You scootch your book over a little to make room for the cup, the table barely fitting everything you brought with you.

You hum in content as you take the first sip - smiling as your eyes scan the room. You look over at the couple of friends trying to keep their laughter down at the opposite side of the room. The middle-aged man reading the newspaper a couple of tables over, the grey dog laying by his legs. And the lady ordering her coffee before heading off to work.

Taking another sip you shift your focus back to your schoolwork in front of you, sighing as you put the cup down before opening the book. You absentmindedly rip a piece off the cinnamon bun, only to put the book down for a bigger piece when you taste it. Now you're definitely kicking yourself for not coming here sooner.

You sit there for hours, watching people come and go, the pages on your document filling with notes, your cup emptying - stretching your legs as you order another one, and another one.

The last cup you order, you notice you can't keep your focus on the pages you're reading anymore, deciding to bookmark it to take a break. You put your items back in your bag, taking your time to finish the last half of your cup as you watch the strangers around you.

The middle-aged man with the dog is still there, his paper now folded by the table as he finishes eating the cake he ordered earlier. His dog perks up as he slowly gets up from his seat when he's done. He takes the plate, lifting it over to the bar counter - giving it to Lucy who takes it from him with a smile, telling him he doesn't have to keep doing that.

You gather he's a regular as he walks back to his table calling for his dog and putting his jacket back on. He grabs the leash and picks up the newspaper. He smiles at you as he walks past you, turning to Lucy, lifting the newspaper to wave goodbye to her.

Something slips out of his paper as he lifts his hand, making you call after him as you stand up. Picking up what looks like some sort of flyer, you stretch your hand out to give it to him. He looks at your face, then back at the flyer, "that's alright, you can keep that" he says with a polite smile before turning back around and continuing out the door before you can say anything.

Confusion takes over as the bell over the door rings when it closes again. You sit back down before you really look at the flyer.

Mat Barzal: Live

Friday night at the Blackbird Café

9:00-10:30 PM

Get your tickets online or at our venue

You hum to yourself, taking the last cold sip of your coffee before putting the flyer in your bag, making a note to ask your roommate, Olivia, if she has plans tomorrow night - intrigued to see this cozy cafe turn into something else. You slide your jacket back on, wrapping your scarf around your neck. After picking up your bag you take your cup and give it to Lucy who thanks you. You ask her if there are any tickets left for the concert and her face lights up a little.

"Yeah, do you want to buy a ticket?" she says.

"Actually, could I book a table? And I'll get the tickets online - so, if my roommate wants to come along, she can- " you trail off, noticing your own rambling.

"Yes, of course. Is that table ok?" she points to a small table a couple of rows from the stage, near the wall. You nod, and she writes down your details. "Perfect, I'll see you tomorrow" she smiles, "yeah, have a nice day," you say before bracing yourself for the cold air as you open the door.