The Weekend: Sunday

On Sunday Mat wakes up before the sun - if he'd been alone he would have shot up out of bed and grabbed his guitar frantically before the lyrics from his dream slipped out of his mind. But you're here, and he doesn't want to wake you, and he knows that all he has to do if he forgets the words is to look at you and they'll come back to him. So he carefully raises your arm around his waist and sneaks out of bed, his feet padding across his floor to grab his guitar and notebook. He gently sits down at the edge of the bed - laying his phone next to him to record.

You're woken up as the first light of the day peeks through his windows, bed sheets wrapped around you like a warm hug, his t-shirt soft against your skin.

It's the sound of his soft humming and the gentle strums of his guitar that wakes you, and you stay quiet as you glance at him sitting on the edge of his bed. You try to piece together what he's singing, but it's too hushed - as if he didn't want you to hear. Your curiosity gets the best of you as you fold away his sheets to sneak up to him, resting your chin on his shoulder, making him stop altogether to look at you - turning slightly to get a better view.

"'Morning" he smiles.

"How long have you been awake?"

He huffs, squinting his eyes, "uuuh, not sure - you sleep well, baby?"

You nod, leaning in to kiss his lips, humming into the kiss, treading your fingers into his hair. You kiss his cheek before making yourself comfortable behind him.

"What are you writing about?" your eyes scan the scribbles in his notebook.

"You,"

Your heart swells, hiding your face in his neck - "me?"

His hand softly urges you to look at him again, "I'm always writing about you."

A breath hitches in your throat, his eyes never wavering from yours. "Play it for me?" you kiss the spot where his shoulder meets his neck. He nods as you nuzzle into his neck, taking a breath as his fingers find the right grip.

I've been sittin' here, tryna figure out
What did I do right to be with you right now?