Home

My muse ❤️: My place at 5 tomorrow?

He'd been staring at the text you sent him yesterday for who knows how long. It's been four days since he saw you last, four days since he sang to you, four days since he kissed you. He'd walked you home that day too, held your hand again, drawn out your goodbye as he pressed his lips to yours again and again.

He'd opened up to you last time, with the smallest fear that it was too much, that he'd scare you away. He was left in awe to see you inviting him into your space now. He'd typed out several replies yesterday before finally settling on one.

I'll see you then! Need me to bring anything? x

My muse ❤️: No, don't worry x

You'd answered him straight away, but now that he was searching for any type of clue in your previous messages he still had no idea what you'd planned for him. Locking his phone and looking back into the mirror he hoped the casual outfit he'd gone for was appropriate for whatever occasion. He runs his fingers through his hair a few more times before walking out of his bathroom to get a jacket before making his way over to your place. He follows his mom's advice and stops to get you something, even though you said he didn't have to.

You'd been a bit bold inviting two people you barely knew into your home, but the short amount of time you'd now spent with Lucy and Daniel had shown you how good they were. When you'd walked into the café the other day asking if they had time for dinner anytime soon they'd been nothing but polite and eager to find a day that fit. As Lucy got someone to cover her shift, Sunday worked out perfectly.

Biting your lip, you hope Mat will like the surprise you planned for him.

When you saw how much he missed his family and felt how much it was affecting him, you just wanted to do something to show him that you cared. And you thought inviting his little world into yours would at least be a good place to start.

Dinner was just about ready. Daniel and Lucy had both politely offered to help and even though you insisted they didn't have to, they didn't listen. Lucy prepared the side salad, Daniel prepped the vegetables, while you prepared the meat, and Olivia had made some dessert earlier in the day so she was currently sitting drinking some wine by the dining table. You had all finished in no time, and now you were just waiting for the vegetables to finish cooking - and for Mat to show up.

Just a few moments after your doorbell rang, the timer for the oven went off too, as if on cue. Daniel winked at you as he went to the door, pressing the button to open the door downstairs before waiting for Mat by the door. You quickly got the vegetables out of the oven so you could catch Mat's reaction when he saw Daniel opening your door.

He barely even gets to knock once before Daniel opens the door - the confused look on his face is priceless. Everyone else comes into his view and he's not sure where to look, he's never seen your apartment before, and to see two very familiar faces standing in it threw him off, but he couldn't be happier.

"Dan- What are you two doing here?" he laughs, looking between Daniel and Lucy, before giving them both a quick hug with one arm. You notice he's holding something behind his back with his other hand as you step towards them.

"Same as you," Daniel replies.

He greets Olivia quickly too before you reach them. Everyone else moves back towards the kitchen as you step over to Mat, soft smiles on each of your faces. He reveals a paper bag with some flowers sticking out, holding it out for you in the space between your bodies. At first, you think it's a bouquet, but you soon realize as you take it in your hands that it's a potted plant.

You meet his eyes, you're about to thank him when he pulls you in by your waist for a kiss. It's short and sweet but it still makes your head spin, "they're hydrangeas" he nods his head towards the flowers. "Thank you, they're lovely" you kiss his cheek before stepping away from him - another kiss on his soft lips might have sent you spiraling.

"Please come in, take a seat" you smile, gesturing towards the table that was now set and ready for you all to eat as the others had made everything ready while the two of you were in your sweet little bubble.

You put the flowerpot in the kitchen, admiring his choice for a moment - wondering how he picked just the right colors to go with your apartment.

"Get over here, we're hungry" Olivia urges you, tapping her fingers at the table. "For someone who's late to everything, you sure are impatient" you tease her as you make your way to the table, sitting down next to Mat.

"Hey, I was early to this" she argues.

You're about to open your mouth when Lucy speaks up - "you live here"

The whole table, including Olivia, break out a laugh and you smile at Lucy, "I was just about to say that"

You all settle down and start passing the food around to each other, keeping the small talk up as you all eat, your plates emptying slowly.

Mat takes a moment to take in the scene before him, how comfortable Lucy seemed talking to you and Olivia, how you genuinely laughed at one of Daniel's awful jokes, how you all forgot to eat because you were too busy getting to know each other. He's broken out of his thought as your hand comes to rest on his thigh.

"Hey, you alright?" you speak so only he can hear, your eyes intently watching him. He takes your hand in his, raising it to his lips with a soft smile as he presses a kiss to your knuckles.

"I'm perfect - this is perfect"

Without even realizing, you'd reminded him that he has a family here in New York too, and now it has grown to fit you and Olivia. And as he sat at your dining table next to you he felt like he was home.