Resolution

Muffled sounds, and unfocused vision. She retreated to her safe place in her mind, a blank space, while she walked through the hospital on her way out. Her adoptive brother was holding her hand stealing glances at her now and then, trying to hold back his tears, trying to be strong for her. Her adoptive parents followed close behind them, trying to process the news they just received.

Her brother opened the hospital door for them to leave. The light crept in, hitting her face, like a mockery of her life. Her face lacked any emotion, she was a shell of a person, an empty body, a charade of a human. Her brother opened the door of the car and guided her to enter. He sat next to her and held her hand.

Looking at the trees pass by, on her trip back home, she thought about the doors of another hospital. A hospital she was already used to, a different type of hospital. Absentmindedly, she brushed her fingers along her forearm, an instinct developed over time. She felt the scar tissue of her self-inflicted wounds over time. She looked at them and brushed her fingers at the mysterious blurry tattoo that she had at the beginning of the inside of her forearm, close to the elbow joint. A tattoo she had since she was a baby, the only hint of her life before being adopted.

What type of psycho tattoos their baby?

She didn't know much about it, only what her parents had told her, not that she ever cared too much to begin with. Staring at it, her mind started to wonder, what if?

Why should I care now? They gave me up, they didn't want me. Why should I want anything to do with them?

Liar, now more than ever you want to know.

Why would I want to know about some people that didn't even want me?

Because deep down you know that there lies the root of your pain.

That's ridiculous, I don't know them, I never did, they gave me up when I was a baby.

But you are still curious, you still care, what if?

No, they have nothing to offer me, they don't have any answers.

Unless the crazy gene runs in the family...

"We will be fine, you will be alright I will make sure of it.", said her brother, Eren, pulling her out of her mental struggle. She just looked at him giving him a reassurance nod with a fake half-smile.

Arriving at the house, waiting for them was Armin, their lifelong friend. He was sitting in front of the house front door with a small suitcase by his side. Mikasa gave him a confused look and Armin ran towards her to give her a hug. Noticing that she was looking at his suitcase he said,

"You are not getting rid of me, I am staying here, and I am not leaving your side."

Mikasa sighed, partly in frustration, she had enough to deal with her overprotective brother, now Armin is jumping in as well. She needed some alone time to process everything. They walked with her to her room and Eren jumped on her bed and said,

"We need to make plans, I want you to think about stuff that you want to do. No matter how crazy it sounds, I want to know."

She gave him a sarcastic look and said, "What? Like a bucket list? A list of shit you want to do before you die? Sounds kind of cliché to me."

Eren looked hurt at the reminder that she was on borrowed time. Noticing this she quickly said, "I will think of something, don't worry."

He nodded somehow relieved at her words. Armin opened his suitcase, took out a book, and said,