(2) Of Deals and Devils Dens part 1

Confrontations are made, secrets traded, and gambling with lives is no easy feat

(Previously on Throne of Glass)

She slipped off her shoes and coat, setting them by the bedroom door before climbing under the heavy blankets with John. He shuffled over to make room for her, but she ignored majority of the free space he just made in favor of practically lying on top of him, his front pressed against her back. She grabbed his arm and pulled it over her, when he gave a confused glance she explained, "If you want me to cuddle you, then you better do it right Mr. Doe."

John smiled softly, releasing a breath he didn't know he was holding and allowed himself to relax against her, with Sera's comparatively smaller form spooned by his he closed his eyes, a warmness settling over him, easing him into sleep.

A crumpled piece of paper on his nightstand caught Seraphina's attention, and she grabbed it. It was uncharacteristic of him to leave trash laying around, he was too much of a clean-freak. What was it anyway? A rogue homework assignment? She opened up the piece of paper and read it.

Her grip on the tan colored sheet tightened, and she turned to John, who was completely unaware of what she was doing, already dozing off now that his Goddess was there to watch over him.

"John, what's this all about?" She queried, a hardness to her tone. He opened his eyes sleepily, not even blinking in sync as he looked at what she was holding. All color drained from his face.

'Oh %#*#!'

——————
(A/N: with the wise words of sophism, "let's make it spicy")

Abruptly siting up John attempted to grab the tan letter out of her hands, but she held it out of his reach, rolling on top of him and shoving his shoulders down onto the twin sized bed, fixing him with a pointed look. John gulped audibly, trying not to focus on how Sera was straddling his hips.

"Were you trying to hide this note from me?"

"...sorta?" He responded, knowing that lying to her would only result in disaster. She squeezed his shoulders, her nails slightly digging into the muscled flesh and he bit his lip.

"Why?" Seraphina asked, but John was far too overwhelmed with how she was sitting on top of him to reply, her rough grasp leaving him in anticipation of where she would touch next.

"Why?" She repeated, pressing down on him harder. John stifled a moan, putting all his energy into calming the heck down, and answered her question.

"I didn't want to worry you. You've already helped me more than you had to and I don't want to drag you deeper into my problems." He said, avoiding her piercing stare. She sighed softly, looking at him with part exasperation, part alarm.

"What am I going to do with you? Don't feel like you need to keep your issues hidden for my sake, because I want to help you with them, whatever they are! Why can't you get that through your head?" Seraphina whispered, and John couldn't help but notice the sad pout of her full lips. 'D*mn it John, keep it together! Stop thinking about Sera that way, she's just your friend!' A daunting task indeed when she was so perfectly fitted against him.

"Sorry... I'm not...used to it I guess? All my life it's just kinda been imprinted that no one could genuinely care about me, except for my Dad." His voice trailed off, eyes clouding over in thought. Seraphina pondered over the writing in the note, and tenderly brought up the difficult subject.