(1) The Calm before the Storm

In which Spectre makes plots, EMBER scouts out their next target, and John and Sera are totally "just friends"

February 10th, Friday 5:46 pm, ZetaSci Main Headquarters

"In a world of locked doors, the man with the key is king. And honey, you should see me in a crown." - Stephen Thompson.

When ability is the inherent right to everything, what happens when it's stripped away? The playing pieces shift, and those blind to the corruption in the system will fall along with their precious Hierarchy, while the downtrodden rise up out of the ashes.

Ability science had made leaps and bounds in its growth over the decades, but what had been achieved in the past year was extraordinary. After years of theorizing and planning, testing, failure after failure, they had finally done it.

Spectre had made its first successful batch of Ability Disablers.

The feeling of accomplishment was short lived however, as the shadow organizations Council had become divided, their goals diverging from the one delivered by their founder due to their long absence. Contention was high within this self-found family, and it was tearing them apart.

After the founder vanished without a trace, their successor took head of the whole project, swiftly taking the reins and performing as the perfect leader. But it wasn't enough for the rest of the executives.

For the successor was young-a woman fresh out of M.I.T university- and although she held more knowledge and experience in ability theory and was one of the first to correctly utilize technology in their products to even invent the Dampener, she was looked down on for her age and inexperience.

But all of their discouraging rants and refusal to show her proper respect only fueled her drive to prove them all wrong. She demanded authority, commanding a following by earning it.

Because, she was the product. Their weapon. Disabler and Dampener alike all made and sustained by her own blood and ability. It didn't take long until she was the face of the organization, the Head Councilor in their seat of executives.

One of Spectre's up and coming scientists Leilah helped her in her endeavors, and her loyalty was rewarded with a hefty promotion. The dissenters punished with having to swallow their words as they were proved wrong.

Observing the contents of the open briefcase, the Head of Spectre brushed her fingers along the six evenly spaced vials filled with the neon green liquid, the masterpiece of her years of dedication. Everything she had worked for led up to this moment, and she reveled in it. Her cold demeanor shifted, the corners of her mouth upturning into a victorious grin.

'Checkmate, b**ch.'

Their plan was almost ready for action, except that a very vital piece was still missing from the equation, due to the interference of EMBER. This unfinished puzzle that remained of the order was what led the two aspiring female scientists to this meeting, trusted confidant Kayden present for input and any necessary runs for supplies or trade of information.

The successors office was on the second floor, light spilling in from the three large floor-to-ceiling windows dominating the back wall. Tall bookshelves filled to the brim with all sorts of documents, case studies and lab reports lined either side of the doorway which faced opposite the windows. A large curved wooden desk rested in the center of the room, made out of redwood and frequently polished. The surface of the structure presented front and center a black name plaque, which proudly declared Doctor Athena M. Doe in bold silver lettering.