(8) Benefit of the Doubt part 2

Window beats rock, poor fed up Doc, Shopping is a modern day practice of torture, and never trust a Teddy Bear

——————

Previously on Throng of Children...

With the weighted blanket on top of him acting as a hug, plus Sera's scent and slow steady breaths keeping him calm, an unbidden optimism gave him hope that they had a pretty decent chance of getting through Athena's test unscathed.

But as he too succumbed to a deep peaceful slumber with Sera in his arms, he rested unknowing that things were about to get a

whole

lot

worse...

...

February 13 2x26, Monday 7:58 am, Wellston Private High School

Monday, like Monday's most often were to every high school student, was a compilation of continuous classes that long outlasted the average persons attention span. And for a limited time only, (limited before a teacher or hall monitor showed up) included a free beating around every corner if you were unlucky enough to be counted among the peasantry.

Which, by the whole school's standards minus Sera, John was.

However, people strangely seemed much more keen ignoring him today. Also typical to an extent. Maybe he had just grown accustomed to violence as the placeholder pass-time activity. Thankfully the worst they committed to this morning was glaring daggers in his general direction, but wariness stained their expressions.

Probably due to Sera's arm around his waist, where she protectively raised piercing glares to those who stared too long. He gently draped his own across her shoulders, pulling her close.

"Peaches," John whispered low into her ear after a Low-Tier with watermelon colored pigtails fainted against the lockers in fear when Sera's glance skimmed by her. "It's fine, it's not like they're goin' to jump me." Fortunately, the girls friend was close enough to catch her and carry her away.

At least, not when you're around...

"That's because I'm not giving them the opportunity to." She replied, tightening her grip on his blazer. John chuckled, squeezing her hand before slipping away next to his History class's door. Still entwined, neither wanted to let go of the other quite yet.

"My hero." He said with a grin, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear with a feather light touch. Seraphina sighed, a silvery sound that conjured wild butterflies in John's stomach.

"It's fine, you can kick my a** at whatever game you picked for us this week at lunch." He reassured, a teasing tone manifesting in the curve of his smirk. Lunch break was a sweet respite from the subtle chaos below, the school roof offering promises of peaceful quiet and calming snuggles. And of course, Sera roasting him about his poor gaming skills. Not that he was actually bad at it, she was just ten times better.

Just as he felt like he was released to go to his class, the sound of a hand slamming against metal echoed in his ear as Sera pined him against the lockers.