5

They keep driving. They let the sunset guide them, they let the stars mark their path.

The night before, they fell asleep in each other's arms. And Jennie threw the pills in their motel's toilet while Lisa paced the carpeted floor and poured herself and her thoughts for Jennie to catch, palms open and waiting. They left their room door open, the cool night air bathing them both. And Lisa's only wearing her sweatpants and bralette but when she sits next to Jennie, body spent as she wipes under her eyes; she's so beautiful. She's so beautiful Jennie thinks.

"You okay?"

Lisa nods, she smiles, and it reaches her eyes this time. "Yeah I'm- I think I'm okay"

Jennie grins, making Lisa bite her lip because when Jennie smiles she feels herself healing. She feels these little pieces in her chest fall together again from where they broke so many years ago.

"You know, I've always found your piercings really hot"

Lisa rolls her eyes, shoving a laughing Jennie onto the bed, pinning her to the mattress as the older girl giggles. "Really? And we were having such a cute moment baby"

Jennie's laughter dissolves as Lisa kisses her, they lose themselves a moment. And Jennie just enjoys the feeling of Lisa's body pressed against hers. How her abs flinch from the cold, how her palms run up and down Jennie's sides. How the curve of her smile feels against Jennie's lips.

She hopes she remembers this when she doesn't exist anymore. Because sometimes, Lisa reminds her of the sun. And Jennie's just like, an asteroid or something.

And fuck, if the opportunity presented itself, she'd be cool burning up in Lisa's light.

-

They decide to utilize the weed Lisa brought with them on a Sunday night. Another shitty motel, another neon lit pool, the same two love sick teenagers.

It's perfect.

Lisa's got her legs in the water, breathing in the joint she rolled as she watches from the side of the pool how Jennie swims and ducks under the water. Lisa leans back on her hands, closing her eyes and passing the joint to Jennie when she glides over; holding to Lisa's legs as Lisa places it in her mouth. When she breathes in, her lungs protest. So loudly Jennie almost chokes on the draw. But she leans away after, blowing it out, Lisa raising an impressed eyebrow as she takes it back to her mouth.

"Damn babygirl, no choking this time?"

Jennie splashes the other girl with water, making her laugh. "Shut up. I'm just not as used to it as you are"

Lisa shrugs, not answering as she kicks her legs back and forth in the water.

"Can you stop doing that? You're kicking me"

"Sorry? I'm doing what baby?"

Lisa pokes Jennie in the side with her toe, making her frown as the younger girl teasingly grins.

"I'll dunk you in the water Li"

Lisa presses her toe into Jennie's side harder, making her squeal. "Aw, little Nini is ticklish!"

"Mother fucker-" Jennie then grabs Lisa's legs, laughing when she screams and is pulled into the pool. She comes up spluttering, their joint floating in the water, wasted. Lisa pouts, teeth chattering as she does.

"A perfectly good joint wasted. Ass"

But she still swims to a smiling Jennie, taking her in her arms. Jennie melts into her hold, closing her eyes at how their breasts push together; how Lisa starts to kiss up and down her neck. How their stomachs glide and Jennie quivers under her hold. Lisa's murmuring against her skin, and Jennie feels infinite. She feels-fuck, she feels alive.