14 | A Peek

"The power of a light is both amazing and terrifying."

■■■

"Laurent, Lux, Ustrina, Zephyrus. Please group yourselves into two and head towards the front."

The four's attention was caught by Naiya's call. Davina pressed her palms onto the grass, pushing her body up to stand from where she sat under the same tree Gavril had been lunging in earlier. Ozzen, who was previously sprawled asleep beside her, yawned as he rubbed his eyes, slowly getting rid of the remnants of sleep he still had.

The rivals stood on either side of the two, modelling similar scowls on their faces.

The four stood up straight, huddling in a small circle as they decided on their matchups. Gavril and Zef kept their glares directed towards each other, making it clear that they had no plans to be in the same group.

Davine clicked her tongue, running a hand through her chocolate locks as she spared the two a disbelieving glance. They were acting as if they were kids and not adults.

Before a word was said between the four, Davina's eyes met Ozzen's, the two subtly nodding at each other as they came to a silent agreement:

Giving Zef and Gavril what they did not want.

Davina extended her hand out as Zef started to reach for Ozzen, catching the fire elemental's wrist before he had the chance to persuade Ozzen to join his team.

"Hey-" Zef complained, not before being cut off by the person he wanted to pair with.

"I'll be with Davina, we are in the same year, after all." Ozzen spoke tiredly, the statement bringing a smirk to Davina's face.

Davina chuckled, letting go of Zef's wrist before placing a hand on Ozzen's left shoulder. "You heard that, you two."

"Wouldn't that be unfair? Two first-years against two third-years, the skill and experience is unbalanced." Gavril argued, placing a hand on his hip as he raised a questioning brow towards Davina and Ozzen. Gavril and Zef were set on not being in the same team, making up excuses that would hopefully be enough to convince everyone.

"Doesn't matter," Davina shrugged, smiling towards the rivals. "I like challenging myself anyway."

"Besides, I think Ozzen and I can hold our own against you two."

Gavril glanced at the woman, rolling his eyes before sending a quick glare towards Zef. "Whatever." He muttered, walking off and not bothering to wait for the three.

□ □ □

The four positioned themselves in front of the class, their teachers standing closely to the side as they kept a close watch onto the four. Everyone knew of Zef and Gavril's dislike towards each other, so it was a surprise to know that the two remained on the same team. However, that doesn't mean that the two had no chance of ending up finding themselves in a brawl instead of working together.

"Take note of your teams, students. Naiya and I will be watching closely." Glenndale announced, her arms positioned behind her back as she kept her steely stare towards the four. It was clear that both teachers intend to give this fight more attention that they did to the previous ones. They didn't want to admit that, but the group included two elementals, a remarkable swordsman and combatant, and a woman whose name is currently making its way up the ranks.

Davina and Ozzen stood beside each other, a few feet across Zef and Gavril who had a significant distance between each other. The distance was about four feet long, Davina had estimated.