2 | Chase

"One day I will stop running. One day they won't hunt me anymore."

■ ■ ■

City of Metier
Outskirts of Vianerhia

□ □ □

Davina pushed her legs forward, forcing herself to run as fast as she could through the thick forest, avoiding the trees that stood on her path. The cape of her blood-colored cloak flew freely behind her as it met the harsh wind, her ebony hair well hidden under the hood. A piece of cloth covered half of her face face, revealing only her unique pair of purple eyes.

They had found her.

The faction who hunts every living creature that practiced dark magic.

She was once happy. Her family was happy in that small village they lived in years ago. But came the day the faction found the village, and that day happened a bloody massacre. There was death after another. Davina was the only one who escaped while her parents and the people of her village met their deaths.

She has been running ever since. Nine years had passed yet she was still running. The faction was still following her tracks for she was the only one left.

Out of the corner of her eye she spotted a cave, big enough for her body to fit. She quickly ran into it and conjured one of her spells.

An illusion will do. She thought to herself.

"Praestrigiae." She uttered the word, making a shadow appear by the entrance of the cave.

Like any other dark magic users before her, the magic was wielded by saying certain words and doing certain gestures. Unlike the power of the elementals which were given by Gods themselves, the origin of dark magic was unknown. That fact alone made people suspicious. Some locals even thought of it as witchcraft.

She held her breath, trying to not make a sound. She scrunched her face and focused on hearing whatever was happening outside.

"Where is she?!"

"Do not let her escape, check the area!"

"She's the only one left, brother, we are not going to let that happen."

Those were the words she heard. Threats. People having a conversation about wanting to end her life.

It took a while before the sounds of rustling stopped, giving her the idea that the members of the faction had already left. She stayed hidden for a couple more minutes before removing the illusion and exiting the cave.

Davina looked around the thick trees surrounding her and ran towards the nearby city, Metier.

□ □ □

Metier was known as the city of merchants. Being located in the outskirts of Vianerhia, the city the central kingdom to the earth kingdom, thus serving as a gateway between two. Products between the two places are constantly flowing in and out. Despite being a small place, the city was no doubt wealthy.

Once she arrived on the city grounds, she headed towards the stalls that sold fruits. Davina had grown hungry after being chased with the faction earlier.

Davina had no place to call home. Given that she had spent almost half of her life running away from the faction, she often moved from one place to another. She took jobs, those that would only take her a short amount of time. Through that way she can gain enough money to buy the things she needed.