chapter 5

"Subject J14" 

The guard had been doing this for hours, counting down the line of tiresome, hungry kids. 

Elodie had lost count of how long they had been sitting in the desert that had transformed from a scorching hot temperature to a freezing subzero chill. The jumpsuits they wore were lined in a layer of sweat which proved to create even more discomfort in the piercing cold. 

After the debacle at the trains, the other carriages were promptly locked down and they were dragged out into the harsh desert to be counted like sheep. 

"Subject C2" The guard forcefully grabbed Elodie by the collar and scanned the code at the back of her neck.

"Watch it." She grunted, wriggling away helplessly from their grip. She was let go and pushed on to the ground, her face hitting the gritty sand. 

She got up quickly, spitting out the blood and sand mixture from her mouth. The last thing she wanted to do was give them the satisfaction of appearing put off by their gesture. Their laughs were met with her cold glare.

"I see they left you behind." 

Elodie slowly looked up and met the rat-like eyes of one of the people she loathed the most. 

"What the fuck do you want?" She spat out the words.

"Woah, woah, just inspecting the precious cargo your friends forgot to pick up." Jansen and the guard shared a heartless laugh, "They forgot you and your other friend, what a shame!" 

The guards immediately separated him and Elodie following the attack, apparent under Jansen's orders. They barely had the chance to mutter a goodbye and could only lock eyes and quickly reassure each other with a glance: We'll be alright.

"You monster! This is ALL you!" Elodie felt their words began to get to her, tears almost falling but she had to pull herself together. "You took everything from me!" 

"Oh for the love of God just be quiet, there's no use takin' your anger out on me." Jansen leaned closed to Elodie, in an uncomfortable proximity where she felt his breath, she wanted to throw up. "You will never see them again." 

****

When they resumed course, the train ride was solemn, guards had doubled and the silence was deafening. She had no idea as to where they were going but all that raced through Elodie's mind was how unlucky she had been: it was a near miss that meant she wouldn't be with her friends again, at least for a long time. 

Her mind replayed an image of Newt bursting through the metal doors and scooping her up and bringing her back to Luke and the others. 

She also hoped that Luke, Aris and Sonya might've been rescued seeing as they could have been on the train but a different carriage, hopefully the one that was carried away. Its a slim chance but she hoped they would be safe and her friends would be informed of exactly what WCKD was doing

To her dismay, she then also contemplated Jansen's words: she grew terrified off the possibility of never seeing her best friends again. She couldn't bare any more time away from them and had to cope.

Elodie tried shutting her eyes, trying to get some rest but her mind was too troubled. Instead, she listened to guards who whispered and muttered their mundane conversations, waiting an eternity before reaching their destination.

****

The train finally halted, people were shook awake violently by guards and the metal door opened flooding the carriage with a shocking bright light that made all the kids in the front rows shield their eyes.

Each of the kids were unshackled from the roof and cuffed  to be escorted off the damned train to wherever they were. Elodie's heart pounded in her chest as the guard reached her own seat: she was grabbed by her shoulder and taken off the train through a glass tunnel where she was greeted by a disorienting sight.

Elodie could not believe her eyes, a city: Buildings and skyscrapers stretched across miles, lights filled the skies and the ground was covered in winding roads and paths below. She had never seen a proper city other than the abandoned one in the Scorch, to her she felt as if it was both beautiful and disgusting.

All she could think was: how is this possible? People were dying by the second outside the walls, deprived of medical help and resources and here people seemed to be living it up in flourished apartments and welcome to more resources than they would ever need. 

Her eyes quickly spotted a wall surrounding the perimeters of the city, which provided an answer to her question. These people cut themselves off from the others who were infected or in need, they turned away from the suffering outside their little bubble. 

Red, hot anger filled Elodie as she realised that this was a reality while she had been thrown in a maze since she could remember.

Elodie was too distracted by the view to realise she had tripped over her step.

"Keep moving." The guard's gruff voice instructed, she obeyed not having her usual energy to retort or fight back. She let the guard lead her through the tunnel.

After a series of locked doors only opened by a keycard and long hallways, they finally reached another metal door that was opened to reveal yet another jail cell sized room and without a word the guard unlocked her cuffs and pushed her in, promptly closing the door behind her.

Elodie had been moving so fast, she barely realised she wasn't alone in the room.

"Hey." A girl with dark hair spoke up from where she laid in a restful position on one of the two beds. "The name's Narissa"

"Oh, hey." Elodie tried to smile a bit to give at least somewhat of a nice impression. "Elodie." She said simply, slowly making her way to the bed and began to climb in.

"Tired, I see." Narissa turned over and looked at Elodie, who inspected her: she was a youthful and energetic girl maybe 16 or 17 with flowy hair and brown oval-like eyes, her sunkissed tan skin reminded her of Alex. "I got here like twenty minutes ago, I was waiting to see who I'd be stuck with."

"Oh." Is all Elodie could muster up the energy to say.

"Not much of a talker?" She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and sat herself up and crossed her arms.

"Sorry." Elodie looked at the ceiling, "It's been a long day." 

Elodie really wasn't in the mood to talk and it wasn't this poor girl's fault she was talkative. She simply had no energy to continue the conversation.

"Oh I see, I get what you mean, apparently our train was infiltrated and..." Narissa stopped herself, "We'll continue this conversation in the morning." 

Narissa tucked herself back into the bed.

Elodie looked over and gave a small smile, she appreciated the considerate nature of her new roommate and she knew they would speak in morning but for now she needed rest. 

She looked up at the ceiling and sadness flooded through her as she was reminded of her distance from Newt and her brother. The things she would give to wake up back in the sleeping bag next to those two and the rest of their friends. 

****

fifth chapter is done :) hope yall enjoyed it, get ready for some trauma filled chapters tho 

Also thank u guys for the love and comments on the last chapter, i'm glad to be back :)

- Ivy xxxx