chapter 2

"This plan will work." Thomas slammed his hand on the table, subtly startling Newt and the others. 

Everyone listened to him, they were concocting a plan to strike WCKD back after the fateful attack on the old safe haven, now a couple months back. Vince and other higher members of the right arm were listening to Thomas, Frypan, Newt, Jorge and Brenda.

"I don't know Thomas, this will take weeks to prepare, we need to hit them at the right time, who even knows if your friends will be on the train." Vincent, the new leader of the Right Arm, was opposed to the idea. "It was your friend who got them taken and forced us to move from the mountains. We can't risk our camp for more of your friends."

"She isn't our friend." Thomas said softly, he looked out the window. No one ever wanted to bring up Teresa with him, he was always far too upset to talk about it. 

"Our friends were taken at Teresa's hands, trust us in saying we care no more for her. We need to get them back." Newt looked at him with pleading eyes, practically begging for him to agree to this. 

"I don't know about this guys..." Vincent scratched the back of his head, looking at Newt, Frypan and Thomas obviously picking up their desperate need to get them back.

"I'll see what I can do."

****

Newt walked out of the small tent, making his way to the shore where masses of wrecked ships filled the ocean ahead of them. 

He sat on the pebbled ground, fiddling with the small stones and staring out over the shipwrecks and the ocean that reached over the horizon.

After the attack by WCKD, The Right Arm moved quickly, cutting their losses and moved south near an abandoned dock where they prepared to escape the corrupt and devastated country overrun by cranks and find a new home.

Newt's mind often wandered back to that day, when they were betrayed by one of their own, the girl who everyone trusted, Newt even considering her a friend. The moment he realised she had called WCKD stuck in his mind, pure disappointment.

What consumed his mind, every waking minute and when he was asleep, in his dreams, were the thoughts of Minho and Elodie: God knows where they were, he could only imagine the state and condition WCKD was putting them in. 

He even thought about Luke and Sonya and what torment they had to be enduring, he didn't even know them that well but he still hoped they could cope. No one should have to be under WCKD's clutches.

There was only one end goal for him, and that was to get them back. 

Thomas's plan had to go through and work, he couldn't imagine life without Elodie, Luke, Sonya and Minho. Especially with talk of leaving the dock to find a new island, they had to act fast. Leaving them behind couldn't be an option.

He was extremely sleep-deprived: dark bags formed under his eyes, a hollow outward appearance matched his equally hollow inside as he yearned to get the girl he loved back and one of his best friends from the Glade. Without them, he felt empty.

Newt grew tired of the dark and gloomy setting, the unsettling air that nighttime brought over the abandoned dock began to get to him. He stood from the pebbles and dusted himself off, making his way back to the living quarters.

****

Newt laid in his hammock, staring up at the oak wood ceiling, gently swaying back and forth. Frypan was fast asleep in the cot next to him. 

"You okay?" Thomas came in to the small living quarters and sat on his own hammock. He was a little rough-looking and unshaven, the burden of WCKD's attack taking an obvious physical toll on his appearance.

"Just deep in thought, I guess." Newt glanced over at his friend.

"What's new." Thomas gave him a sad look,  "Assuming your thinking about them."

"I miss 'em a lot." Newt smiled and shook his head, thinking of his friends.

"Me too, man." Thomas chuckled a little, "I never thought I would say that I missed Minho's snarky comments or that i really need one of Luke's thought-out plans right about now." 

"Yeah, I could really use a little peck from Elodie or one of her reassurances. For some reason, they always calm me down and I need that right now." Newt's eyes began to tear up, his throat closing up.

"Who knows where she could be right now, what WCKD could be doing to her..." 

"Newt." Thomas solemnly placed his hand on Newt's shoulder, "I promise you, you will see her again soon."

"Thanks Tommy." Newt calmed down and smiled through his despair, he wiped his eyes. 

Newt settled into bed as Thomas closed the light in the room. He began to toss and turn, trying to find a comfortable position as his mind filled with disturbing images of where she could be. A nightmare that everlasting, clouding his head, denying him much needed sleep.

****

merry christmas eve everyone! i hope you all have a great christmas and if you don't celebrate it, then a fun holiday season. love you! xoxo