chapter 1

The bread is hard and tasteless as she tried to chew it slowly in her dry mouth, every swallow proved to be a challenge to her due to lack of any liquids.

Elodie sat on the metal bed with her legs huddled to her chest, the four steel walls around her feel as though they close in on her every day. Her small 'living space' seemed like it was decreasing in size.

Calling the room she found herself in, a 'living space' is a gracious compliment to the cold box that contained a bed, sink, toilet and shower. All enclosed in a 2 by 2 metre space. No natural light reached the inside, only a bright ceiling lamp lit the room at all times, limiting Elodie's knowledge of time. It was a prison cell.

Elodie guessed that it had been a couple months since she had been taken by WCKD from the Safe Haven, there was no way to tell if her prediction was right: no clocks, no light, nothing. 

It had been months since she saw her friends, The Right Arm.

Newt. 

She caught glimpses of him in her daydream, they only appeared for a few seconds but the image of his blonde, scruffy hair and awkwardly tall height were enough to keep her going, provide a sense of comfort as WCKD continued to distort the world she once thought she knew.

Out of everyone else, she thought about the dirty blonde, brown-eyed boy who had told her he loved right before she was taken away, that moment was engrained in her mind, endlessly repeating as she found comfort in his reassurance. Everyday she wishes that he would burst through those doors and hold her, it's one of the little thoughts that hold her sane. 

She always prayed that Newt and the others escaped and found a new sanctuary, hoping they were safe and well. She had no idea if they were even alive and her mind wondered to different scenarios where they might've been captured, hurt or even killed. It gnawed away at her. 

Even though she was brought here with her brother and her other friends: Minho, Sonya and Aris, she had not seen them since that night, where after they landed in the facility. Her and Minho were whisked away to the location they were at now. 

She often wondered about what happened to Luke, Sonya and Aris. Why they were seperated, if they were being tortured in the same way she was. It killed her to think of any of them in the same excruciating pain that she was put in. She hoped that they were still together, providing company, in a better state than she was in. 

She had only seen glimpses of Minho, where they were taken to the torture chambers or the test rooms at times where they would pass each other and not be able to say anything or talk, but only steal momentary glances where they non-verbally asked if they were okay. Nodding or gesturing with eye contact to provide answers. 

His presence in the horrible, cold place they were in was the only way Elodie had not gone completely off the deep end. A familiar face created a sense of comfort, even if it was just for a second.

Her day consisted of being tested by a doctor, being fed twice and then taken to a room where they would perform 'tests'. 

Hallucinations would test Elodie's sense of reality as she was put back with her friends and in particular, the scientists loved to toy with her vulnerability around her brother and Newt, information no doubt, provided by Teresa.

Elodie's hatred for Teresa, for what she did to the Right Arm, for her betrayal to her friends and herself boiled internally. She was even afraid of what she would do to her if she ever encountered her. She was the reason for the suffering, she did this. 

If it wasn't hallucinations and being drugged, she was sat in a large, metal chair and questioned. She knew acting clueless and being shocked was better than giving away information to these dangerous beings. She never saw who was behind the menacing voice who ordered for her to confess the plans of the Right Arm or what Thomas was planning on doing, it was the same female monotone voice. 

She wondered if the woman knew how much pain she was putting a child in and the cruel nature of the 'questioning'

Occasionally, she would see another kid captured by WCKD, another test subject to be extracted by them. The same expressionless, malnourished and lifeless state of body and mind was also apparent on these other kids. No doubt, they were under the same inhumane conditions.

WCKD always mentioned that their intention with them was to always 'help the greater good' and Elodie always fought against this notion. How was exploiting children in mazes, hallucinations and torture helping the greater good? Surely there were other ways. 

She missed everyone, most nights were sleepless, her mind racing with concerns for the wellbeing of her loved ones, imagining the worse deaths and scenarios. It poisoned her mind, she had thought about giving in, maybe she'd reach the light and be able to see her friends and family in spirit. But she knew the doctors would never let it get that bad to the point of death, but she could dream.

Anything was better than being stuck in WCKD's hell

****

finished the first chapter! a bit dark i must admit but death cure is filled with a lot of angst. I wanted to show what poor Elodie had been going through and how she is slowly going a bit cuckoo haha

I hope y'all enjoyed this xxxx 

- Ivy