chapter 3

"Get up." A guard's monotone voice instructed through a small opening in the door.

Elodie obeyed immediately despite being exhausted, knowing there would be consequences if she got a few more hours of sleep.

She sat up in her metal cot and took a shower, changing into a new set of grey clothes. Elodie waited on her cot, head in her hands, mind racing with thoughts of home and the person who embodied home for her.

The metal door opened and a guard dressed in a black bullet-proof vest and a helmet stood in the frame. Without saying anything, he swiftly walked over to Elodie and put her hands in cuffs that lit up when placed. She weakly followed his lead knowing there was no way she would be able to escape if she ran for it. She's tried several times, almost killed for it.

As they reached a series of metal doors, that have always been locked, the guard tightly grabs Elodie's arm and unlocks the doors using his gun which must have some sort of key.

This was the first time in months Elodie had left the hallway.

"Where are we going?" Elodie demanded an answer from him, but he stayed mute, refusing to give her any information.

The air outside the facility was hot, they were in the middle of a desert and it was early morning. This was Elodie's first time outside in what felt like years, she was too busy taking in the glimpse of freedom to notice the other kids like her that lined up next to a train track.

The others were dressed in the same clothing, obviously mentally unstable like Elodie. It was likely they were enduring the same torture she faced. They were being loaded on to a steel train with WCKD branding, being scanned by their necks and forcefully pushed by the guards.

As the line grew smaller, Elodie was scanned as if she were an item in a store and pushed on to the train. She hated the silence as she felt the eyes of the other kids looking at her, no one said a word. She kept her eyes down.

She was sat on one of the steel bench chairs and a guard shackled her to the roof and continued to load kids on as if they were cattle. 

She wondered where they were going as the seats filled up, could this be where she was disposed of, like the voice in the torture room said?

"Elodie." A voice said quietly. Elodie sat up, thinking it was a guard, she looked around to see no one around. Probably her insanity finally taking over her brain. 

"Elodie..." It said again, a little more impatiently. It was a familiar sarcastic tone next to her...

"Minho!" 

Elodie's eyes widened, a smile cracking her lifeless appearance. 

"Please tell me you are real."

"I hope so shank!" Elodie looked at his familiar face, she would've given him a massive bear hug if it wasn't for the shackles. He was as tireless and rough-looking as she was. She knew WCKD had been doing the same unspeakable acts of cruelty towards him.

"They had you in there too?" She asked, keeping her voice down away from the guards at the doorways.

"I thought I was the only one..." He answered, a cold look on his face.

"It was horrible." Elodie softened.

"Yeah." 

They didn't know what to say, but they could feel the desperation and pain between them. She decided to make lighter conversation.

"I miss 'em." Elodie smiled a little, this was her first interaction with a real person, a friend in months.

"Me too. I think about everyone everyday." Minho looked at her broken smile. "I'm sure they're  all ok, trying to find us."

"I've never lost hope in them."

"How's your brother?"

"I was gonna ask you the same question." Elodie deflated a little, "I haven't seen him since that night."

"Oh, he's a big shank, I'm sure he and Sonya are alright." Minho reassured her, trying to put Elodie at ease.

"I'm counting on it."

"Where do you think we're going?"

"I have no idea."

As the conversation picked up, a guard noticed their interaction.

"Hey! You two there! Shut it!" He shouted, Elodie and Minho obeyed and instead enjoyed each other's company in silence, looking out the window and exchanging occasional glances.

****

The train ride felt like it was going for hours, the discomfort of the steel benches were taking a toll on Elodie's body as it started to ache.

Sun seeped through the ceiling, it was hot, indicating they were travelling through some sort of arid environment. 

She tried going to sleep, leaning on her arms that were still basically glued to the ceiling. But suddenly, footsteps ran across the roof of the carriage. She initially brushed it off as guards, but the security personnel inside the carriage looked around confused, this was clearly not planned.

Elodie looked at Minho, both of them thinking of the same possibility of who those feet belong to. A certain group of rebels.

Elodie began to gain some hope, hope that Newt and the others would rescue her from the agony that was WCKD. 

Then, the train came to a halt, the guards had left to the front carriage to assist. People were banging on the side of the train, everyone went wild: shaking their shackles to try and screaming to alert whoever was outside to help them.

"Elodie?! Minho?!" 

****

OMG could this be???? reunion chapter? all i gotta say is dont get yo hopes up, we need some fun plot lines. 

Happy new year everyone! i hope everyone had a good holiday season and that 2021 is a hell of a lot better than the dumptruck fire that was 2020. 

Also should i write more newt chapters or stick to elodie plotline, i've written a bunch of parts for newt but they are quite repetitive to the movie but they do explore his thoughts throughout the story! let me knowwww

-ivy x