Chapter Four

Propped up against a nearby wall with her sore ankle iced, Izumiya's focus was glued to Toyomitsu while he and Itsuo sparred. His movements were never unnecessary and his usual bright smile was nowhere to be found. Instead, the concentration he held on his opponent was obvious in his intensely focused eyes, his austere expression only breaking on the occasion that he'd get in a good combo attack, unable to hold back a satisfied smirk. A smirk that Izumiya didn't want to admit she found exceedingly attractive.

It was clear from watching the two spar that Itsuo was outmatched, something Izumiya hadn't actually witnessed in person before, which only made her curiosity for her new acquaintance grow. Who the hell was this guy?

When they'd decided to call it quits for the day, Izumiya tossed each of them a water bottle before snagging Toyomitsu's towel from the bench beside her and lobbing it at his face as he sucked back the entire contents of the bottle without stopping. "Breathe, why don't you," she smirked.

"Water first, oxygen later," Toyomitsu mumbled from under the small towel, letting it fall to the floor in vain.

"Idiot," she rolled her eyes.

After he drained the bottle in record time, Toyomitsu collapsed onto the mats beside Izumiya, looking up at her with a smile before reaching out for his towel and wiping at his sweaty face. "Jeez, that was tough. How's your ankle feeling?"

Moving it around a little without much pain, Izumiya hummed. "It's okay."

"That's a relief," he poked her shoulder playfully. "I was startin' to worry we might have to cut it off."

"Still might, who knows," she shrugged. "Probably too early to tell. We'll have to consult a professional."

"You should go see a doctor to be sure it's nothing serious, Ivy," Itsuo noted, crouching down to remove the ice pack from her leg, slipping it out of Toyomitsu's sweater barrier before tossing the article of clothing into her lap.

"They'll just tell me what I already know," Izumiya glanced up at Itsuo as he stood and crossed his arms over his chest authoritatively. "Oh, come on now. Don't go giving me that look. You act like I've never gotten injured during practice before."

Holding strong in his stern expression, Itsuo raised an eyebrow. "You're no spring chicken anymore – who knows how long it'll take you to bounce back, Hoodlum. Go see the doctor tomorrow."

"No spring chicken?" The brunette scoffed in offence as she began to neatly fold Toyomitsu's large sweater. "How old do you think I am?"

This was an interesting tidbit of information that Toyomitsu wanted to know, and seeing as it's normally an impolite question, this seemed like the only time he'd ever be able to find out without being considered a jerk – so he piped up. "How old are you, Izumiya?"

She glanced over at him and narrowed her eyes. "How old do you think I am?"

"This feels like a trick question," he chuckled sheepishly, scratching his cheek as his idea clearly backfired on him.

"Twenty-five-year-olds don't recover as fast as teenagers," Itsuo threw the man a bone as he addressed his niece. "Don't be an idiot about it."

Waving away his concern, Izumiya made a move to stand, and Toyomitsu scrambled to his feet as well, wanting to be ready in case she lost her footing again.

"There's nothing to fuss over," she balanced on her right foot as she wiggled around her left one more confidently. "I'm alright. It's hardly even swollen anymore."

Running a hand through his greying hair, Itsuo sighed. "Stubborn brat."

"Old fart."

Toyomitsu smiled at their exchange, the familial bond definitely shining through once again in a way he found charming. A rumble in his belly brought him back to the moment and reminded him of their dinner plans. "I'm gonna head home to shower, and then I'll come to pick ya up, Izumiya. Sound good?"