Chapter Eighteen

While Toyomitsu drove across the city in search of Izumiya, he started piecing together little things he hadn't thought twice about in the moment that made much more sense now. Her hesitance to not leave work early or take days off, the way she would almost always order the cheapest thing on a menu whenever they'd go out to eat (even if she wasn't paying), spending an extra three hundred yen and considering it splurging – hell, she had even confided in him about not having a place to call home...it was all right there in front of him and he hadn't even considered that she might have struggled with poverty.

The blonde's eyes burned when he thought about how she must have felt and how she must be feeling right now, exposed and alone. He could understand why she wouldn't have told anyone, it wasn't as if that was information you'd be comfortable sharing with just anyone and seeing as she had such a stubborn personality, he wasn't exactly surprised she hadn't reached out to Itsuo for help. But just because he understood why she didn't tell anyone, didn't mean he could even begin to imagine what life had been like for her – and he knew that.

After parking on a nearby side street, Toyomitsu hopped out of his SUV and kept his tread light while he surveyed the area as he walked towards the apartment building Itsuo had given him the address for. The blanket of darkness didn't help the fact that he wasn't a hundred percent sure where she might seek solace as he poked his head around each corner, though he had a strong hunch that if she was here, she'd be on the roof, just like she always was at her uncle's.

Izumiya's ears twitched when she heard hands make contact with the steel ladder, the sound reverberating upwards, and she breathed a heavy sigh as she assumed it was Toyomitsu. While part of her wished it was him, another wished it wasn't; she wanted to live in the delusion of his affection for just a little while longer.

When he reached the top of the ladder and stepped onto the roof, Toyomitsu felt relief crash over him like stormy waves against a cliff as his eyes landed on her figure, arms and legs stretched out as if she were about to make a snow angel. "Thank god," he mumbled under his breath, not realizing she would hear him.

"Hey, M-Mitsy," she cleared her throat after stuttering, keeping her puffy, red eyes skyward. "What brings you to my neck of the woods?"

"Oh you know," Toyomitsu began walking towards her, trying to mask the concern in his voice. "Came to see about a girl."

"I'm fine," Izumiya lied, her heart already beginning to prepare for the worst. "You've checked in and done your heroic duty. Your good deed has been acknowledged, you can go home now."

Toyomistu's chest tightened as he settled himself down to lay beside her, reaching out his hand to rest atop her open palm. "Do you really think I'm here to just do a good deed? You really think it'd be enough for me to just ask if you're okay and then leave? 'Cause if you do, you're sorely mistaken, Vy."

The brunette fought against her natural instinct to curl her fingers around his hand; the more affectionate they were, the harder it would be for her later. "You don't need to pretend, Toyomitsu. I don't need your pity and I'm not an idiot, I know this changes things."

"What on Earth gave you that idea?" Toyomitsu's eyebrows furrowed and his stomach began to churn, the last thing he wanted was for things to change between them in the way she was implying.

Izumiya blinked blankly up at the few stars she could see, not daring to look him in the eye. "Because now you know I've spent nearly seven years like a crazy, destitute vagrant."

"So what?"

"So what," the female scoffed as she repeated his words, her lips pursing as her jaw tightened.