Chapter Nineteen

After Izumiya had fallen asleep laying down on top of Toyomitsu's plush stomach, the blonde had let Mizushima and Itsuo know he'd found her and then simply listened to the steady cadence of her breaths. He had no doubts of his feelings for her and he knew what he wanted, he just didn't know how to go about expressing that to her. Sure, they'd just talked about dating, but nothing that solidified their status and he wondered if she felt it was too soon to make things official.

It wasn't that Toyomitsu doubted Izumiya's feelings, because he didn't. Not only had she shown him time and time again through her actions that she cared, hearing her be so adamant about how being with her could negatively impact his life further proved to him how deeply her feelings ran. The way her plump bottom lip trembled with tears staining her cheeks as she confessed that she didn't think she was good enough and that he'd find someone better was an image that wouldn't soon fade from his memory. He knew she loved him despite the fact that she hadn't directly said it, he felt it every time they were together and he hoped that she felt and recognized that he reciprocated.

The emotional rollercoaster of their night was enough to settle Toyomitsu's mind on the idea, today wasn't the day to ask her to be his girlfriend. He wanted both of them to be able to look back and fondly remember making such a commitment to each other, and he didn't think that would be able to happen on a day like today. Toyomitsu rubbed soft, soothing circles across Izumiya's back and instead made a different promise to her - a silent pact to leave her with no doubt of his affection ever again.

Izumiya rose with the sun, stretching her arm out with a yawn before she opened her eyes. Of course, in her sleepy state, she hadn't remembered where she fell asleep in the first place and if it wasn't for Toyomitsu's fast reflexes, she would've tumbled off him and onto the harsh, cold asphalt.

A squeak escaped her lips as she felt herself jostled, creating a low chuckle to rumble in Toyomitsu's chest while he wrapped his arm around her and squeezed her tightly. "Mornin' sleeping beauty."

"Sorry," she mumbled, shifting to try and get off him but he wasn't ready to let her go just yet.

"Nothin' to be sorry for," he hummed. "Wanna go grab some breaky?"

Izumiya's stomach rumbled at the request and she nodded before glancing up at him. "Food sounds good."

"Perfect," Toyomitsu smiled, holding onto her as he shifted himself into a seated position and kissed the crown of her head.

After climbing back down to street level, Toyomitsu reached for Izumiya's hand and clasped it snuggly while they walked to his vehicle, only letting go once she was seated inside. They'd decided on going to Toyomitsu's usual twenty-four-hour breakfast diner and once they stepped in the door, he swiped a newspaper off an unoccupied table and headed to his favourite spot near the window.

With a pair of coffee's set between them and their orders placed, Toyomitsu quickly separated the Sunday paper into sections until he found the one he was searching for - the weekly funnies.

"Can't you wait to read it until I'm not here," Izumiya complained. "It's embarrassing."

"I've been lookin' forward to it all week, I just can't wait," he flashed her a giddy smile and she sighed; how could she say no to that?

"Alright, alright."

Toyomitsu's eyes lit up as he found the title and he softly tittered with excitement.

'The (unofficial and definitely inaccurate) Adventures of Fat Gum!'

"Catchy name, by the way."

"Shuutttt it," she warned, her cheeks beginning to flush self-consciously while she scrutinized his every feature.

Toyomitsu's eyes flicked up and he smiled. "I'm not bein' facetious, I think it's funny."