Eight

Chapter Eight:

Sam Wilson wasn't like anything the woman had expected, but again, she wasn't sure what other superhero's were supposed to look like. Maybe she was expecting Sam to be a huge, lumberjack sized guy with an eight pack-- she wasn't sure. Instead, he seemed incredibly cool and relaxed, he had a good sense of humour too.

"Who is this?" He had greeted them that way, all whilst Josephine stared around the air force base looking complete awe-struck. She had never been a fan of flying, all the planes tucked neatly underneath the garage. All the doors were open, revealing the beautiful weather outside where a few planes were preparing for take off. Sam had a duffel bag tucked under one arm, she wondered if he was planning a trip. "No way Buck has a friend."

"You're not allowed to call me that." Bucky replied with a huff, taking in his surroundings. Sam continued walking, giving her a nod as a man in cameo gear came rushing around the corner. "You shouldn't have given up the shield."

"Nice to see you too, Buck."

"This is wrong."

Josephine trailed behind, unsure of what to do, or why she was there at all. Why had Bucky invited her along? "Hey, hey, hey. I'm working all right." Sam declared, "So this outrage is going to have to wait."

Bucky shook his head, pointing angrily at a poster tapped up along the wall. "You didn't think that was going to happen?" Josephine gazed around once again, spotting a dozen of them pasted around. John Walker in his new Captain America gear was staring out from them, the slogan Cap is Back! written in bold letters.

"No, of course I didn't know that was going to happen." Sam sighed, "You think it didn't break my heart to see them march him out there and call him the new Captain America?"

"This isn't what Steve wanted."

"Oh, my god. What do you want me to do? Call America and tell 'em I changed my mind? Huh?" He waited for a response, when Bucky resorted to his intense stares, Sam chuckled. "It's a great reunion, buddy, be well."

"You had no right to give up the shield, Sam."

Sam came to a stop, turning slowly to face Bucky. Josephine stumbled, forcing her feet to freeze before almost crashing into the two men. It was odd to see Bucky like this, his face stone cold, an air of anger swirling around him like a storm. "Hey. This is what you're not gonna do. You're not gonna come here in your overextended life and tell me about my rights. It's over, Bucky. Besides, I have bigger things to deal with now."

"What could be bigger than this?"

Josephine stepped back as Sam slipped his phone from his pocket. Whatever they were fighting about, whatever bigger thing Sam had to work on, there clearly wasn't a place for her. She should've declined Bucky's offer on a train ride, maybe getting fired over this wasn't as worth it as she hoped.

"This guy. His connections with rebel organizations all over Eastern and Central Europe, and he's strong. Too strong."

"And?" Bucky didn't seem fazed in the slightest.

"Well, he's been connected to this online group called the Flag Smashers. Now, Redwing traced them to a building somewhere outside of Munich. So, that's where I'm going."

"Well, I don't trust Redwing."

Sam shook his head, voice stern. "You don't have to trust Redwing, but I'mma go see if he's right 'cause I have a feeling they might be apart of the big three."

"The big three?" Josephine couldn't help the words slip from her mouth, stepping back as both their gazes landed on her.

"What's your name?" Sam questioned, staring at her.

She pursed her lips, "Um, Josephine."

"Well, Josephine, the big three is androids, aliens and wizards."

Bucky's face scrunched, shaking his head. "What? That's not a thing."

"That's definitely a thing." Sam argued, tension leaving his body.

"No, it's not."

"Come on, every time we fight, it's one of those three."

Bucky heaved a sigh, "Who are you fighting now? Gandalf?"

Sam opened his mouth to retort, but quickly closed it as his mind processed Bucky's words. His eyes narrowed, "Wait-- how'd you know about Gandalf?"

"I read the Hobbit." Bucky glared, glancing at her. Josephine raised a brow, moving a tad closer. "In 1937. When it first came out."

She snorted, ignoring the glare Sam directed to her. "So you see my point."

"No, I don't. There are no wizards."

Sam blinked, "Doctor Strange."

"Is a Sorcerer."

"Doctor Strange?" Josephine questioned, looking between them. "That's his name?"

"Aah!" Sam explained, "A sorcerer is just a wizard without a hat. Think about it, right?"

Bucky turned to her, his expression a mix of mild anger and annoyance. She shrugged, "At first I wasn't sold, but that explanation was great. I gotta hand it to him."

"I just came up with that right now, it's good right?" Sam smiled, giving her a nod. "I like you. Hey Bucky, I like her."

Bucky rolled his eyes, sighing as he focused back on Sam, still looking incredibly annoyed. "Back to the point," Sam's expression turned serious, "These guys aren't magical. They use brute force, just like you, the incredibly annoying guy in front of me with a staring problem."

He took off, back towards the landing strip. Josephine rushed to follow the two men, still unsure of where she sat in Bucky's plan.

"I'm coming with you." Bucky shouted, trailing behind him.

"No, you're not." Sam yelled, "Go home with your friend."

Bucky's pace picked up and Josephine broke out into an awkward speed walk, pausing as she watched both of them climb up into a large fighter plane. Sam disappeared around the corner while Bucky paused in the doorway, turning and looking down at her. "You coming?"

Her eyes widened, "Am I supposed too?"

"You can." He told her, "Because I'm not sure how you're getting home if you aren't."

Josephine pursed her lips, hesitantly climbing the stairs. This was ridiculous and insane. "I don't have any cool powers like both of you."

"Don't worry, Sam doesn't either."

"I heard that." Sam's voice chirped, "And if she comes, she ain't getting off this plane. It ain't safe."

The door closed moments after she shuffled on board, staring down the empty interior. It was quiet dark, with only two small rows of seats along each side. Red nets hung behind, and a rather large skid of something was sat in the centre on one end.

"Where are we going exactly?" Josephine asked, taking a seat next to Bucky while Sam flopped down on the opposite side.

Sam regarded her closely, "Ever been to Germany?"

"No."

He chuckled, turning to Bucky. "Where'd you meet her again?"

"I never told you."

The man snorted, shaking his head, clearly very amused with himself. "Well, you gotta tell me that story. I never saw this coming in a million years, I gotta say. I've never met nobody who can stand this man for more than five minutes."

"Thanks." Bucky grumbled. "For that. I appreciate it."