Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen:

Zemo led them deeper into the building, saying nothing except occasionally glancing back at the group. He motioned them to stop as they entered another large room, vehicles covered with sheets filled the space. There must have been dozens of them, all safely kept away. He wandered over to one and flipped the sheet up, propping open the trunk of an other vehicle.

"So our first move is grand theft auto?"

"These are mine." Zemo said, rummaging through the trunk. "Collected by family over the years. I spent years hunting people Hydra recruited to recreate the serum."

He slammed the trunk shut, moving farther away towards a lime green vehicle. They followed slowly, making sure to give him some space. Zemo opened the side door, peering in at something sitting on the seat. "Because once it's out there, someone can recreate an army of people like the Avengers. I ended the Winter Solider program once before. I have no intention to leave my work unfinished."

He faced them now, a duffle bag gripped in one hand and a long trench coat slung over the other. Bucky stepped in front of her, crossing his arms as he listened to the man. "To do this, we'll have to scale a latter of lowlives." He took off back the way they had came, "We'll join the party. We've already started. First stop is a woman named Selby. Mid-level fence I still have a line on. From there, we climb."

Bucky moved swiftly, trailing behind him, blocking her path whenever she went to walk ahead. He looked down at her, shaking his head. "You stay behind me at all times around him, alright?"

"It was your idea to break the criminal out of jail."

Sam snorted, "She's got you there. Let the woman walk next to you at least. Here, how 'bout in between us? Does that suit your safety concerns?"

"For now." He grumbled.

Zemo stopped at another car, tossing his bag and coat through the open window to the passenger seat. He swung open the door, soundlessly slipping in. Sam muttered a curse under his breath, holding open the door as she squeezed to the middle. Bucky entered from the other side, attempting to fasten his seat belt but failing each time. "Here." She took it from him, shifting over before Sam got in. She jammed the belt into its base, the click dull as she moved back to her spot. Sam sat down, shoving her over.

"Bucky still needs to breath." She joked, trying to position herself so she wasn't cramped against anybody. It was difficult trying to give both men space considering they were both built like fire trucks and the back seat was already small.

They all sat in silence as Zemo made his way towards a large garage door, with a click of a button it slowly pulled up. The tension was building, she could feel it. Sam was staring angrily out the window while Bucky focused straight ahead, lips forming a hard line. Zemo was the only one who seemed relaxed, the man who had just escaped prison.

"What's your name?" His eyes flickered to the mirror, looking at her with narrowed eyes.

"You don't need to know that." Bucky said quickly, shaking his head.

The man shrugged, "I figure she's apart of this mess now, I'd like to be acquainted with the young woman."

She opened her mouth to answer, to introduce herself, but was cut off.

Bucky huffed, "Josephine."

"Can she not speak?"

"To you," Sam joined in, "With your manipulative ways. I'd prefer not."

She rolled her eyes, "I'm sitting right here."

"I know. Your elbows digging into my stomach." Sam muttered, shifting in his seat. His eyes flickered back to the driver's seat, "Where exactly are we going?"

Zemo grinned, "It's a surprise."