Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One:

The first thing Sharon had them do was change, and Josephine was grateful for it. She traded her dress for a form fitting pan suit, picked out by Sharon herself. It was all black and managed to fit her nicely, she had never felt so professional before. She adjusted the blazer as she sat next to Bucky on a long sofa, he had also traded his gear out for a pair of black jeans, a shirt and a plain blazer. He looked nice.

"How is the new Cap?" Sharon questioned.

Bucky shook his head, "Don't get me started."

"Please," Sharon scoffed, walking over to his other side and flopped down. "You buy into all that stars and stripes bullshit. Before you were his pet psychopath, you were Mr America! Cap's best friend."

He sighed, "Wow, she's kind of awful now."

The woman leaned over, looking at her. "And who's your new friend?"

She blinked, "Josephine."

"You look shaken up." Sharon said, "You don't have any special abilities or anything?"

"Nope."

She smiled, "So you're boring like the rest of us, huh?"

"Thankfully so." Which was true, she knew she would never be able to do this job well, or even at all. "I don't know how you all do it."

Sam wandered over to them, adjusting the hem of his turtleneck. "Karli Morgenthau and at least seven others have taken the serum.

"You guys should really stay clear of all of this for your own safety." Sharon replied, shaking her head.

Sam bent over and began tying the laces of his dress shoes, "We know it's a risk, but we won't leave until we found the one who's cracked the code."

"We got a name." Bucky nodded, "Wilfred Nagel."

Sharon stood up, a nervous energy suddenly taking over her in a wave. Zemo stood up as well, watching with interested eyes. "Nagel works for the Power Broker."

"We need your help, Sharon. I can get your named cleared."

The woman paused at a drink table, gripping a glass tightly as she poured herself a drink. "You haggling with my life?"

"Not like that."

"I don't buy it." She looked at him, "You pretending like you can clear my name."

Sam sighed, "Okay, maybe it is hypocrisy. Maybe you're right. What happened to you. But I'm willing to try if you are." He paused, glancing at Bucky. "They cleared the bionic staring machine, and he's killed almost everybody he's met."

"I heard that." Bucky said, looking over at her. "Almost is the important word there."

She pursed her lips, "You know I trust you right?"

He looked weary as he processed her words, "Yes."

"Really?" She was unconvinced, the look in his eyes played at something else. "You're not a great liar."

"Who says?"

"Me. Your eyes give everything away, Barnes."

When Josephine looked back over at Sam, Sharon disappeared up the nearby steps. They all shared a look, unsure of what to do.

"I guess we go check out the crib."

"Don't call it a crib." Bucky shook his head, "You guys go, we'll catch up."

Sam raised a brow at her as he turned towards the staircase, following Zemo up and around the corner. Josephine turned to Bucky, "Are you alright?"

His eyes flickered to hers, he seemed distraught. "Do you hate me?"

Josephine's brows furrowed, staring at him. "Of course not."

"Back there--"

Maybe her surprise hadn't been hidden as well as she thought, her realization that she didn't really know him, not the way she thought. And the way his own mind was working, trying to reassure himself that she would stay, even after he told her the truth. Which he would, but not now, not with the way she was gazing at him. He would lose her at some point, that he knew, but he couldn't bring himself to acknowledge that. He was dreading it.

"I could never hate you, Bucky." She stood up, straightening out her outfit. "And for the next little bit, until Sharon gets the information you all want, you are going to make some new memories that will be entirely your own."

He looked weary as she outstretched a hand, "Come on, Barnes."

She smiled when he accepted as she pulled him off the couch, finding herself adjusting his blazer. Josephine paused, dropping her hands as she stepped back. "I, um--"

"Hey." He mumbled, staring down at her.

Say something, she scolded herself, meeting his gaze. Do something!

His eyes were incredibly bright, even in the odd lighting. The weary look vanished, and was replaced with the same look she could never seem to decipher.

"Hi." She said back as footsteps echoed down the stairs, Sam's voice calling for them to hurry. Josephine nodded quickly, turning and rushing after the other man. On the next floor, music slowly poured from multiple speakers, quickly blaring the sound so loud the floorboards vibrated. It was packed, people milled in any open space. Some were dancing, others drinking while the rest swiped away on tablets gripped in their hands. Sam guided them as they slipped around groups, making their way towards a back wall. A few paintings were hung, none that she recognized. It was a farmer, holding up a rake as he glared directly at them.

"This was what you interrupted us for?" Bucky looked at Sam, "Really?"

The man shrugged, "Ya'll were just standing there."

Something tapped her shoulder, she spun, meeting the eyes of a waiter. He handed her a drink, pointing at the bar a few feet from them. A man sat in a barstool, giving her a wave and a wink. Josephine pursed her lips, staring at the glass in her hand.

"Oh?" She mumbled.

"Aye, look at her go." Sam laughed, "Been here less than five minutes and--"

Bucky stepped in front of her, gently taking it from her. He turned back towards the bar, dumping the contents onto the ground, forming a pool around their feet.

"Oh?" She said again, surprised.

Sam coughed, "What the hell man?"

"I see some developments." Zemo tisked. 

"Hey, guys." Sharon rushed up behind them, giving Bucky an odd look. "I found him."