Chapter 44

"I See Fire" Ed Sheeran!!! Listen to it. I am dedicating that song to this Chap!

Zayn's POV

I inhale again before dropping the bud on the floor. And exhale. That is my fifth cigarette since I got to work. This situation is stressing me out. I just want to talk to her but I feel like I can't.

"Man what's gotten you all sad looking?" He smirks, "Lady troubles."

"She starts fires for fun. Who the hell does that? And like why am I even feeling like I don't care?"

His confused look makes me tell him everything. But his eyes are saying he knows all of this. He asked me why I was so down and I tell him everything. But he doesn't seem surprised. For some reason he looks as though he knew all along.

"Actually Zayn I should probably tell you, I know. I knew already..." He looks at the girl at the register, "Just popcorn? Salty or sweet?" He hands it to her and returns his attention to me.

"You knew and didn't tell me?! What the fuck is that?"

"Relax man! She asked me not to tell. I knew it was something she needed to tell you, not me."

"How'd you find out?"

"I looked her up online. Avery Harper and it all came up. Track runner in Wisconsin, Fire Starter in Wisconsin. Paying the Winter's family mortgage in Wisconsin. It said all the stuff she does for the family. She told me her parents don't even know she does it. It's her allowance."

"Wait what?"

"She is a good person. She's been paying for the family's mortgage. She snitched and lost all her friends back home. She came here to start fresh. She came here and found you man."

"Fuck!" All this stuff is different. No one did that for my family. However that fire started no one not even the insurance covered much. I dropped her when she did so much good in her life. That's why I love her because she has such a good heart. She's pure. She's better than me and that's why I need her. That's why I should go talk to her. I need to tell her I forgive her. Or that I want to forgive her. I want to continue to love her. I want--that's enough.

"So...what do I do?" I don't even know why I'm asking Aman he'll just say,

"Go find her and fuck her brains out."

Like I expected. "Cover my shift."

"I'll get Ron to cover it. Just go man." I run from the theater and take out my phone. I call her over and over only getting her voicemail. Why isn't she picking up. I go to the bus stop but the bus shouldn't be here for another half hour. So I start to run.

Avery's POV

He pulls up onto this open field. And my heart that was once held by hand is now been let go. And it has found its place in the pit of my stomach. Please don't tell me he's going to do what I think he is.

"Come on get out the car."

"Blane what are you doing?"

"Come on, get out."

Hesitant and unsure I get out of the car. He watches me intently. I wiggle my bare toes as they touch the dry grass. He reaches for my hand but I hold onto myself. I shake my head swiftly and he drops his hand to his side. Something, he did something...it almost looked like he was hurt by my decline.

We walk into the field centimeters away from each other. He looks up at the sky and over at me. Then at my hands that are wrapped securely around my body.

After we are knee deep in the field he says, "This is how we got to such a bad place. This is what messed us all up."

"Blane what are you talking about?"