Chapter 12

"You're so mysterious." I tell him.

"Is that a compliment?"

"I honestly don't know. It's working for you I'll give you that." He's quiet and so humble. It's different to be around considering I'm the opposite. He smirks looking at me. In the dark my eyes strain to explore his features. The long of his neck to the hair along his perfect jawline. The way his bottom lip is plump and more poked then the other. I notice the way his eyelashes are long and curl over his eyes. Now his eyes look as if it's the normal dark shade of brown. Ugh, he's beautiful. I look away when he glances up at me, his teeth tugging on his lip.

We come up to my apartment building. "Well Zayn this is my stop."

"Wow you live here?"

I shrug, "Yeah." He looks at the vast height of the building. "I can't believe how old you are. It's surprising."

"A deal breaker?" He ask not really looking at me. He shoves his hands into his pockets. Probably feeling for the safety of his cigarette box.

"Definitely not."

"Cool." I watch the way his lips perk. He is really beautiful without effort.

"Well I'll see you tomorrow."

"Speaking of tomorrow..." He scratches the back of his head, "Would you want to go out on an actual date that we're both aware is a date."

I laugh, "We've been on dates. We were both very aware of them." I add.

"Okay will you go on a date with me?" He stares at me with his dark brown irises. It's odd how the color brown looks different sometimes.

"Yeah." I kiss his cheek feeling the smooth hairs of his beard. "Goodnight, have a boring time at work."

"I'll have a lot of fun just because you want me to be bored." He says as I open the door to the building. I step inside feeling him still staring at me through the glass doors. I turn and catch him in the act. He smiles and I wave him goodbye.

Bryan's voice hums, "A friend?"

"We'll see." I smirk, "Is he gone?"

He peers his neck over my shoulder, "Yes he's gone now."

"Okay. Have my mom and dad got home yet?" Bryan shakes his head and before I can ask he hands me the mail. I hit the button to the elevator. "Thank you Bryan."

"Your welcome Ms. Avery."

I step into the elevator smiling at Bryan one last time before the metal doors shut. It's good my parents aren't home yet. My mom would probably never drop it. She'd have my neck on a leash. A permanent leash.

I flip through the envelopes still finding nothing. Has she not seen the letter I left for her? I know I ruined our friendship but I tried so hard to fix it before we left. I hope she understands that.

I walk into the house to Kibble waiting for me at the door. I kneel down and rub the tan fur of her head. She's a Norwich Terrier she's just as adventurous and playful as me. The perfect pet for me.

"Hey Kibble."

I drop the mail on the table. Today at the zoo seeing those penguins brought up the good memories of Haley. I really hope she sees my letter and writes me back. I need her.

Chen comes from the kitchen, "Oh child, you are home."

"Yes I'm home and I'm starved. What are we eating tonight?"

"You come home very late Avery. Where have you been?" She shuffles back into the kitchen and I follow. She rinses her fingers under the running water and gestures for me to do the same. "I can not keep secret from your mother unless you give a good reason."

I choose to tell her knowing she'll look out for me. I can trust Chen she's like the grandma that sneaks to give you snacks after your mom said no.

"I spent my day with a boy. Or a man; a guy for lack of better wording." I have no idea what she'll say.

"A boy!" She pauses looking at me with a frivolous stare. "Who is this boy when will I see him?"

I sit atop the counter, "Chen you know I can't do that. Besides we're not anything serious."

"Knowing you it will be serious." She uses air quotes as she says serious. She places a plate in front of me. "Avery! Off the counter!"

I jump down taking my plate with me. I sit down at the table thinking over the events of today. I can't go on that date with Zayn tomorrow. I told Corwin I'd go out with him. Though I really don't want to go. But he was so helpful and persistent. It doesn't mean anything to me. Besides I never did agree to what day he and I would go. I can go whenever. I'll give him a real date tomorrow.

No not a date a time.

Kibble dances at my feet. "Kibble I'll play with you right after I eat okay."

(•_•)

I play with Kibble in the living room. I chase her around. I hold her in my hands kissing her face.

"I love you Kibble. Do you love me." She barks and I nuzzle my nose in her fur. "I know you do." I take her out onto the balcony. I sit with her in my lap. "It's its own kind of beautiful huh girl?" I notice my mom and dad are standing outside. At least I think that's them. I try to peak over the reeling, her red shirt confirms my speculation. They are just standing down there. I try to make out a better look but I'm to high up to actually see. The lights are luminous but it only gives them a silhouetted glow.

I give up. "Come on girl lets go ruin their fun." I'm only in pajamas but I'm sure I can interrupt whatever it is they're doing in my pjs. Kibble barks making me reconsider. Both of the figures, that are my parents have become extremely close.

Oh uh okay. PDA. I won't interrupt that they can have that. No longer interested in sitting out to the see the lights. I climb back into my window.

I lie in bed; my mind running. Worst time of the day and the best time of the day. Your back is laying against the cushions of your mattress. You can actually feel your bones release. These imaginary weights on your shoulders fall to your back and into the mattress. Giving your body an unthinkable amount of relaxation. Your body stiffens and molds itself into the bed wishing it would never have to leave this position. Then silence creeps in leaving the alert mind to wonder and ponder.

My mind seems to be stuck on the dark haired guy who talks to me at a bus stop.

His face is like that of perfection. Almost hard to find any faults. His thick eyebrows making him appear masculine. His long lashes that draw attention to his piercing brown eyes. The way he stares so intensely makes him captivating. His intricate face structure from cheek bone to the smooth haired jawline. His lips. So much I could think to say of his lips but at the moment. I can only see the pink perfectness of them. If I were to believe that someone could be perfect it would be him. He is perfection.

Buried beneath the ratty clothes and the casual slouch. Hidden behind the smoke of a cigarette. Covered up by his silent mysterious persona. Is the first man to ever be perfection. This is the only way I can think to describe his face and subtle personality. He is perfection.

How the hell can I already presume this? I have spent three days with him. And I'm already thinking this way? The ghastly moments of the night lead to revelations. To feel this way already is troubling. I turn to mold in another position in hopes that my mind can focus on something else.