Chapter 2: Interrogation

"Thanks, Rinko-chan," thanked Kouichirou. He smiled at his old college kouhai as she smiled back at him.

"Take care of yourself, ok, senpai?" she said before driving off.

Kouichirou held onto the handle of his luggage, watching Rinko drive away before she was no longer in his sight. He turned around to at the engawa house he lives in. He walked towards the front door, unlocking it with his key before opening and entering his home.

The inside has a modern yet luxurious structure with the furniture and other features a son of a rich family should have. Although he earned his money from working, he still feels like he's getting it from his father since he works for him as the Chief Financing Officer.

"I'm home," Kouichirou called out.

There was no response. Why would there be? He lives alone, after all. No pets, no wife. When his parents try to arrange marriages for him, he always pushes the girls they choose for him away. All the girls they choose are either snotty brats or boring women.

Kouichirou walked into his large living room and sat down on his white XL sectional sofa. He lifted his legs and rested them on top of his coffee table as he leaned his head back on the sofa.

The young man felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. When he pulled his phone out, he looked at the screen to see who was calling him at this time.

The name "Mayumi Reynolds" is read on the screen. She was a friend he met in America when he had a business meeting there a year ago. They got along pretty well and shared some interests. They stayed in contact after their meeting, but he felt no romantic feelings towards her, nor does he believe that she does either.

Kouichirou pressed the green answer button on his screen before hearing the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" he said in English, where he then hears a response from a woman's voice.

"I heard what happened with the game. Are you all right?" Mayumi asked with a worried tone.

"Well, it's not like I'm in the game," chuckled Kouichirou softly in response.

"But I thought you had a copy since you were involved in the game development?"

Kouichirou's face grimaced as his hand started shaking a bit while holding the phone. "I..." he was about to tell Mayumi about what happened to Asuna but stopped himself. "... I do, but I didn't get to play at launch because of a business trip," he fakes a laugh softly to hide his pain.

Kouichirou didn't hear a response from Mayumi. Only silence. It took a few seconds until she finally spoke.

"Are you hiding something?" Mayumi asked suspiciously.

"W-What?" stuttered Kouichirou. "I got nothing to hide, don't worry about me!"

There was silence again from Mayumi for another few seconds before he hears her voice in a serious tone.

"Fine then," Mayumi acknowledged. "Are you still in Japan?"

"Still in Setagaya, why?" he questioned.

"Good. I'm in South Korea right now, so I can book a flight and head over there as fast as I can."

Kouichirou's raised a brow from hearing what Mayumi said. "Huh?" he exclaimed. "What the hell you on about, Reynolds?"

"I know you well enough that you aren't the type to fess up unless it's in person," Mayumi stated. "So, I'm gonna come to you to get answers outta you! And you better pick me up from the airport!"

Who am I, her boyfriend? Kouichirou thought to himself as he facepalms himself. "Fine, fine, I will."

"Good!" chirped Mayumi, hearing a giggle follow afterwards. "I'll start packing, and I'll see you soon!"