Chapter 4: Link Start

"So you didn't know beforehand?" Kouichirou asked Rinko as he looked down at his friend, Kayaba Akihiko, lying on the bed with the NerveGear and life support connected to him.

Rinko shook her head. "After what happened, I knew where he would be," she answered. "You didn't?"

"I was too busy worrying about Asuna to think about Aki being the one responsible," Kouichirou chuckled softly. "Unlike you, I would've called first instead of trying to kill him."

"Yet, you didn't." Rinko giggled softly. She rubbed her eyes that were red from crying so much a few minutes ago.

Kouichirou stared at Kayaba, wondering what he's doing in the game, what he's thinking right now. He turned his head to look at Rinko.

"What is his goal?" Kouichirou asked.

Rinko looked down at her hands before looking at Kouichirou.

"He said he wanted to 'make Aincrad float' before he entered the game," Rinko answered.

Kouichirou raised his brow at Rinko. "What does that mean?" He asked her as he stood up from his seat. "What does that have to do with trapping thousands of people into a game?"

"I-I..." Rinko stumbled on her words, unable to give a proper answer. Well, one that Kouichirou would like.

"None of this makes sense," Kouichirou shook his head in disbelief. "There's no reason for him to do this, right?" He looks at Rinko with a desperate look on his face, wanting to know the answer to Kayaba's reason to trap all those players in the game. "If he wanted to see 'Aincrad float,' then he could've made the game, played it himself and mission accomplished! So, why the hell does he have to turn it into a death game?!"

Rinko looked down at the floor, avoiding any eye contact with Kouichirou. She didn't bother saying anything, knowing she can't soothe his anger and frustration. He does have every right to be angry with everything going on right now, as well as with the new information she's given him.

Kouichirou breathed slowly before calming himself down. He looks at Kayaba before asking Rinko. "So, he can't log out either?" He asked.

Rinko shook her head, causing Kouichirou to chuckle.

"Bastard's a literal prodigy, praised by everyone as a genius," Kouichirou continued. "And he didn't even bother to create a safe NerveGear for himself. I guess he can be stupid."

Kouichirou grinds his teeth together, angry at Kayaba for what he's done. He wants to know why, but Rinko doesn't know the full story. He needs to ask Kayaba himself. But how?

While he was thinking, he immediately remembered something. Something he should've thought of when he left the hospital after visiting Asuna when it all started.

He pulls his phone out of his pocket to check the time. 2:00 AM, November 10. It's been five days since the SAO incident began. Five days. Since then, 500 players were already declared dead. He can't let anymore die.

"I have to go," announced Kouichirou as he headed towards the front door.

"Wait, senpai!" Rinko ran after him before grabbing his arm.

Kouichirou stopped and turned around to look at his once college underclassmen, seeing her pleading eyes that looked like they were about to shed more tears.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone we're here," she begged, holding her senpai's arm tightly to show how serious and desperate she is. "P-Please..."

Kouichirou hated this. He felt horrible for making Rinko beg like this. He should be responsible and go to the police right away. But he can't trust that the SAO Case Victims Rescue Force to find a way to get them out. It could take years, and he couldn't bear to see Rinko being put behind bars for being an accomplice.