32. The Death of Innocence

CHAPTER 32

CHAPTER 32

THE DEATH OF INNOCENCE

06:35 AM

Of all the thing that was in his bedroom, perhaps the most useless was the alarm clock: he was accustomed to waking up earlier than the scheduled time, and on many occasions he was ready even before the alarm was triggered. Waking up earlier than normal was one of the many habits he cultivated over the years, a reflection of his upbringing.

And if there was one thing his upbringing gave him, it was the notion that life wasn't easy for people like him.

From an early age he learned this through lessons given by his parents, other times more harshly from his own experience, but still, he learned.

"Work hard and always be honest" was what his father always said and he absorbed it: from an early age he worked hard, whether helping his mother with the chores on the farm, his father in the carpentry workshop, and of course, in his studies in which ensured that he attended a good private school in which under normal circumstances he couldn't go due to the financial conditions of his family.

In many ways he was a realist, he knew who he was: a poor boy from a small village in the country and who, despite being hardworking, smart and a brilliant student, couldn't aspire to things beyond his reach, like attending a good university or the dream of being a doctor, something that was now nothing more than that, a dream.

Maybe he had reasons to become bitter, frustrated or sad, but he didn't do it as despite his harsh reality, he was also dreamer, optimistic, and why not, sensitive. He had that rare - and perhaps even foolish - ability to see the world with simplicity because he was, essentially, a simple boy, and because he was simple he was happy.

He was happy and he knew it.

There was a time when he struggled to contain that feeling, to fight, to hide and to pretend it didn't exist in the hope that it would disappear or fade. But love had taken him completely and he cannot do anything but surrender.

He loved Harry.

And Harry loved him back.

Even if the world was against them, even if everyone thought he was sick, even though (in great pain) his parents didn't want him around anymore, even if there was more reason to be sad, he was still happy and he was still grateful... And because he was happy and grateful, he woke up every morning with that same feeling of tranquility and peace of mind.

As Cedric made his bed, he looked at the calendar on his desk for the date of that Friday morning, even though he already knew what day it was.

July 24, 1964

The next day Harry would be 17 years old.

During the past few months, Cedric didn't understand the reason for the melancholy, the distant and fearful look that the little one had when he mentioned his birthday... In fact, there were things that he didn't understand, unexplained things that happened when he was with Harry since they were children.