33. A Path Of No Return

CHAPTER 33

CHAPTER 33

A PATH OF NO RETURN

August 8, 1964

A good predator isn't the one that attacks its prey at the first opportunity it gets.

No...

He had made this mistake 17 years ago, driven by thirst, or rather by the insatiable hunger to have, to immediately possess the power in which he always pursued, always desired. A power that was his, destined for him, from the beginning, since always... And precisely because of that, he – who had never stepped on a false foot before – almost lost everything due to a single moment of recklessness.

It took centuries of hard work, spilled blood and sacrifices to make him what he always was: powerful, magnanimous, and soon, invincible.

As he stared at himself in the mirror, the muscle in his cheek tightened, stretching the corner of his lips in a ghost of a smile – he couldn't even remember the last time he'd smiled in a genuine way like that; The smiles he offered were almost always fake, since the entire exterior set was fake, a disguise that was planned and constructed by him.

The Honorable Father Tom Riddle of Godric's Hollow Church of Night didn't exist. Never existed. It was a disguise, a non-existent being, the "false skin" in which protected his true self that everyone would soon know, soon to be revealed.

His true self was Lord Voldemort.

The most feared and powerful dark wizard of all time, the name whispered by wizards and witches across Europe who absolutely feared him... Voldemort, the leader of the most radical and anarchic witch sect, followed by his feared "Knights of Walpurgis" who would do anything and everything for him, sharing a new wizarding philosophy in which he was god and his word was law.

He smiled at his reflection in the mirror.

'Yes...' he thought with satisfaction as Barty straightened the collar of his cassock.

The path had been long.

He still remembered the horrendous muggle orphanage in which he grew up as a child... The constant beatings he received from the friars, for being the son of a burned witch, being called by them the "child of the devil"... From the fear of muggle children and the pleasure he felt in causing fear in them: he was "weird", he was "odd", "abnormal", as bad things happened to those who were mean to him, who crossed his path. But he enjoyed it.

At 12 he had fled into the forest, a place that had always called him and in fact was the place where he received his call: a snake-shaped entity had revealed what and who he was – a wizard. And following this snake, he was taken in a small Church of Night, later learning his origins as an heir to the legendary Salazar Slytherin as well as about the Dark Lord and his own magic. But again he found the contempt, the looks of superiority coming from the other wizards and witches for being a half-blood, a "filthy crossbreed" or "mudblood" as many said and even in those days continued to say behind his back.