Chapter 1

(A/N – Just a side note, this takes place after season 2 but no one knows what Bart's mission was. Wally still "dies" (if he doesn't come back in season 4, I'm going to scream). Dick does not leave the team however and stays on to mentor them, and the cave didn't get destroyed. That's all I changed. I hope you enjoy!)

"I'm so boooored! When are we gonna do anything exciting?!"

"You do realize that when 'exciting' things happen, people usually get hurt right?"

Bart rolled his eyes as he hung upside down from the couch, "Well yeah. But then we come in and rescue them!"

Jamie rolled his eyes, "Sometimes, I really don't understand your thought process hermano."

"That's assuming he has one." Tim teased.

Bart stuck his tongue out at them, "You're just jealous of how intelligent I am."

"Yes, eating chicken whizzees, while upside down, and almost choking." Gar summarized. "The peak of intelligence."

Before Bart had a chance to reply, Nightwing walked into the room. "Alright everybody listen up." The team stopped what they were doing and focused on him, Miss Martian, Superboy, and Aqualad. "I know the last few weeks have been kind of slow now that the Reach is gone. But that doesn't mean that we can slack off. So, the four of us have come up with a bit of a training exercise to keep us on our toes."

Miss Martian stepped forward, "As Bart has demonstrated for us, time travel exists, and the next time someone pops through a portal, they may not be on our side. Therefore, we need to be prepared."

Superboy held up what looked like a wristband, "This is a device that has been produced by Star Labs. It can send the wearer a short distance either forwards, or backwards in time."

Aqualad continued "The goal is not to make long trips. Instead, this device can be used in the case of an emergency, in which going a few minutes back in time, or into the future, could prevent a disaster. The goal of today's exercise is to get you all accustomed to using devices such as these."

Bart started tapping his foot nervously, "Are you sure it's such a good idea to be messing with time travel like that?"

Cassie rolled her eyes, "As if you're one to talk."

"Don't worry," Dick assured. "The devices can only send the user up to a maximum of thirty minutes. Plus, they are only to be used in an emergency. In today's exercise, we will not be leaving the cave, and we will not be changing history in any way. Therefore, there is no danger."

Bart still wasn't too sure about this idea, but even the fastest boy alive couldn't think of a good excuse in the time that it took for them to pass out all the wristbands.

After several more minutes of talking and overall instructions that Bart wasn't paying attention to, they were finally ready to make their first jump.

"Alright, everyone." They turned to look at Megan. "We need to move into a different room so that when we go back in time, we won't run into any of our past selves." They did as she said and went into the debriefing room.

"What would happen if we ran into our past self?" Gar asked.

"Nothing too dramatic," Dick explained. "It might mess around with the device a bit, but nothing too serious. But it's still something that best be avoided."

"Is everyone ready?" Aqualad waited until everyone had nodded. "We'll start small. Set your watches to take you five minutes into the past." They did as he said and were immediately teleported away.

Bart almost had to laugh at the novelty of these little devices. In the future, time travel had been around for ages. The problem was, getting all of the right parts to make his time machine, and even then, it wasn't perfect. These little devices were a step in the right direction towards the technology of the future. In hindsight, he should have been paying more attention...

"Wow..." Jamie laughed as they landed back in time. "This is so cool!"

Tim checked his watch then pointed at the clock on the wall, "We really did go back five minutes."

Gar held his head, "I feel like I'm gonna puke!"

Megan put a hand on his shoulder, "You'll get used to it."

"Ok, now let's go forward in time by ten minutes." They followed Conner's lead and continued to go back and forth, in increasing increments.

The whole time, Bart felt a weight in his stomach, that kept getting larger and larger. He felt like they were on a path towards disaster, but he couldn't figure out why. It all came to a head, when they made their final jump, thirty minutes into the past. As soon as they landed, Bart knew something was wrong.

"Guys..." Bart looked up in panic as a weird tingling sensation overtook his body. They all looked up in horror, to see that there was a second Bart speeding past them. He couldn't believe his stupidity! He had gone to grab a soda for he and Jamie thirty minutes ago, and he took a shortcut through the debriefing room!

"Stay calm everyone!" even as the words left his mouth, Dick looked concerned.

Suddenly, all of their watches lit up and prepared to make another jump.

"Where's it taking us?!" Cassie was panicking.

"Everyone, take off the watches!" Aqualad commanded, but it was too late. In a whirl of light, they were gone.

When Bart first opened his eyes, he thought he was having a nightmare. The same nightmare he had every night. Ash-filled skies, temperatures below freezing, all around darkness. All of the things that he had left behind. However, this time it wasn't a dream. This time it was all too real. He was finally home.

"No..."

(A/N - Hey guys, thanks for reading! I hope you liked it so far. I upload every weekend, so I'll see you again next week. Stay crash and don't feel the mode! :) Bye guys!)