Chapter 5

"Ok..." Bart took a deep breath and started his story. "In February of the year 2056, I got sent back in time to save Neutron from killing the Flash. My second mission was to kill Blue Beetle. In the future, he has become a tyrant who runs hundreds of death camps and has enslaved humanity. But that's because the Reach took over his scarab.

"When I first met Jamie, I knew that he wasn't the one in control, so I decided instead of killing him, I would just make sure that the Reach couldn't use him. We then stopped the Reach and they were never to be heard from again.

"Unfortunately... there were... side effects... Wally wasn't supposed to die. I... I guess when I saved Barry... that meant that someone else had to take his place. I... I never considered that... I'm so sorry..."

Kaldur placed a hand on his shoulder, "Wally knew the risks. He would not have blamed you."

"That doesn't mean I can't blame myself..." he continued. "Right now, we have traveled to July of the year 2055. I have been imprisoned in one of the Reach's camps and will stay there until I am rescued February 26th, 2056."

"Eight months?!" Nathanial yells in horror. "We leave you there for eight months?!"

He shrugged, "I'm sure you try to rescue me, but it takes time. It's fine."

"No! It's not fine!" he pulled at his hair.

"What do they do to you in these camps?" Conner asked.

Bart looked down as everyone had their eyes on him. "Look it's... it's fine. I'm here now. So, it doesn't matter what they did."

"It matters to us, Bart..." Cassie encouraged.

He met their eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm the grandson of Barry Allen, which means that I have been a high-level target ever since the day I was born. They killed my parents when I was three, but I got taken in by the resistance before they could get to me. However..."

They nodded encouraging him to continue.

"When they captured me... they wanted to find a way to harness the speed force for themselves." He continued. "To do that, they performed several... vivisections on me, hoping to find the secret of my speed. But it has nothing to do with my actual physiology, it's just in my blood. Literally. When they couldn't figure out a way to get the speed for themselves, they just sent me to the camps where I worked gathering parts and things until I was rescued..."

No one said anything as they all looked at him with a mixture of horror and pity. "Isn't there a way that we can rescue the past Bart before any of that happens to him?" Gar pleaded.

He shook his head, "There's no telling what kind of chain reaction that could cause. Everything has to stay exactly the same if we want to make sure that things happen the way they're supposed to."

Cassie walked over to Bart and pulled up the bottom of his shirt. Down the front of his torso, was an angry red v shaped scar, that let all the way up to his chest. Cassie completely broke down and grabbed him in a hug as she cried. "How had we not noticed...?"

"Hey, it's alright..." he patted her on the back, "It's all in the past. Er... well technically the future. I'm fine. The only thing that matters right now is getting back."

"I'll have our best scientists start working on a way to get you home. You might be here a few days, but we'll get it done." He got up and walked out the door.

"Why didn't you tell me... that I..." Jamie was on the verge of tears.

"I didn't want to burden you with that." He looked down. "I didn't want to burden any of you all with this..."

"You're our friend Bart." Tim gave him a sad smile. "you shouldn't have to carry all of this on your own. It's our job to help you with things like this."

"Promise you won't keep anything like this from us again?" Megan asked.

"I..." he gave them a small smile. "I promise..." They all wrapped him in a big hug.

"So... what are we going to do until we can leave?" Conner asked.

Bart shrugged, "I guess we can help out with the resistance effort. They can always use an extra hand moving supplies or building weapons."

Dick nodded, "We're happy to help in any way we can."

"Actually..." Bart turned to him, "There's something I need you to do... Someone I need you to meet..." 

(A/N - Hey guys, thanks for reading! :) Stay crash and don't feel the mode!)