Chapter 4

Nathanial took the team to a side room of the base where they would have some more privacy. "So, where are we?" Jamie asked.

"Resistance headquarters." Nathanial flipped on a light and they all took a seat around a shabby-looking picnic table.

"Who exactly are you resisting against?" Tim asked.

"I was hoping that we would be back before that came up." Bart sighed. "In the past... things... happen... things that I was sent back to change. Because of this, the Reach was able to enslave the world. They either killed or imprisoned all metahumans. The Justice League is gone. They died fighting the Reach. Most of you died as well... The resistance is all that's left..."

"We're... dead?" Gar said in horror.

"But don't worry, we stopped the Reach from taking over remember?" Bart tried to give him a smile.

"Then why does the future still look like this?" Conner gestured around.

"I believe it is because we traveled to a time before I went back in time." He explained. "If we had come to seconds after I left, then the future would have changed."

Nathanial nodded, "That would make sense. The time stream is still trying to catch up to the things you've changed. How did you get here anyway?"

"Someone thought it was a good idea to do a time travel training exercise." He glared at the four older heroes. "We accidentally ran into my past self in one of the jumps."

"So that, added with the fact that you don't belong in the past anyway, must have scrambled your time travel devices." Nathanial started putting it together. "It sent you to another point in time, in your own life."

"Yeah..." Bart hung his head, "One of the worst times..."

"Don't worry Bart," Megan put a hand on his shoulder, "We'll figure all of this out..."

"She's right." Nathanial encouraged. "We sent you back once, we'll send you back again. Even if we haven't actually sent you back the first time yet... You know, I don't actually know all of your names yet..."

"This is Miss Martian, Beast Boy, Wonder Girl, and Aqualad." Bart started. Nathanial shook all of their hands in awe.

"Then we have Superboy, Robin, and Nightwing." He continued.

"Nightwing? As in Dick Grayson?!" he nodded, "Oh my gosh! You're the stuff of legend! It's an honor to meet you!"

"Uh... thanks?" Dick wasn't sure what else to say.

"And uh... then we have... Jamie..." Bart muttered.

"Do you not have a superhero name Jamie?" he asked.

"Uh no, he doesn't!" Bart answered quickly.

Jamie stared at him, "Yes I do. Why are you being so weird? My name is Blue Beetle."

Everything changed in an instant. Nathanial had his gun pointed at him and Bart quickly ran to shield him. "Get out of the way Bart!"

"I'm not letting you shoot him!" he yelled.

"That was literally your whole job!" he yelled back. "You had two tasks! Save Barry Allen, and kill Blue Beetle!"

"Things changed!" He saw an opening and quickly took the gun from his hand.

"No Bart, things haven't changed!" he tried to grab the gun. "He's a murderer he has to be stopped! Now! If you're too much of a coward, I'll do it myself!"

"He wasn't in control of his actions!" Bart argued, "Hmm... that sure does sound like someone else I know!"

"I killed Barry Allen." He held up the number one, "That's one person! He has killed millions and enslaved even more! Bart, he killed your parents!"

He rolled his eyes, "You think I don't know that?! But this is not the Blue Beetle we know today. This is the Blue Beetle before the Reach has gotten him on mode. This, is Jamie Reyes, my friend!"

"Oh, now isn't that sweet, your friends with the guy who is probably slicing you into little pieces as we speak!" he tried to grab the gun but Bart quickly took it apart and let the pieces fall to the floor.

"Will you just calm down for two seconds?!" he took a deep breath. "I'm here right, now aren't I? That means that Blue didn't kill me. I've gone to the past. I kept you from killing Barry Allen, I kept Blue Beetle from being moded, and together, we all stopped the Reach. I don't see why there is any need to kill him."

"Fine!" Nathanial threw up his hands in the air in frustration. "Have it your way! Worst case scenario, he kills you in your sleep and the future doesn't get changed. At that point, we'll just send another idiot boy with a death wish back to the past."

"Thanks, love you too." He rolled his eyes.

"I... I'm a murderer...?"

"No." "Yes." The two said at the same time.

"No." Bart glared at him. "You're not. The Reach is. If they had taken over your scarab, then they would have used you to become a killing machine. But that didn't happen, so you haven't killed anyone."

"You know besides, the entire Justice League, all your friends here, Bart's parents, most of the loved ones of everyone who lives in this base, and you know, all the other people in the world." He finished his list with a glare.

Bart rolled his eyes, "Will you shut up for two seconds?! He shouldn't be held accountable for things that haven't even happened yet."

"Than, how about things that are happening right now?" he argued, "You were taken a week ago. You are probably being tortured or dissected as we speak!"

"I'm fine." He growled. "Don't pretend to lecture me about my time in the camp."

"Ok stop!" They all looked over to Dick. "I have had it up to here, with you two beating around the bush! Tell us exactly what is going on right now."

Bart pinched the bridge of his nose, "I think I'm getting a migraine..." 

(A/N - Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Stay crash and don't feel the mode!)