Chapter 17

A few minutes later finds the guys wandering through the forest and doing their best to find any possible signs of a cursed used-to-be king. It's a task that is, apparently, more difficult than first anticipated.

Carlos groans in frustration. "He's an enchanted beast," he points out. "Why is he not easier to find?"

Hayden shrugs. "Probably one of two reasons."

"What's that?"

Harry, easily picking up his godling's train of thought, answers first. "Firs' would be tha' he's freaked 'bout his lil change an' is hidin' somewhere."

"And the second reason?" Jay asks, both eyebrows raised.

Hayden sends them a sharp smile. "Second would be that he's hunting us just like we're hunting him," he drawls.

There's a sudden silence as Carlos, Jay, and Gil abruptly stop walking. Hayden and Harry just share an amused look and keep going. Clearly, the other three hadn't considered that possibility.

After a second, Gil just shrugs and starts walking again, motioning for Jay and Carlos to follow. "Not much we can do for it," he points out.

Carlos groans. "I hate that that's true," he mutters.

"We all do," Jay agrees.

Hayden ignores their little side conversation as it transitions into something he couldn't possibly care any less about. Instead, he focuses on scanning the forest around them for any signs of the little beastie and/or magic.

After all, it's been far too long since he's actually seen Circe. The sorceress wants him dead and his power for herself. He's sure she'll show up any minute now.

A light tug on his hand redirects Hayden's attention. He easily comes to a stop and turns to his pirate. "What is it, Harry?"

Harry opens his mouth only to pause and turn to look after the others. Satisfied that they're still wrapped up in their own conversation and paying the two of them no mind, he turns back to Hayden. "I need to talk to yeh 'bout tha' crown," he says quietly.

Hayden gives him a look. "What about it?" he asks. He makes sure to keep his own voice down, realizing that Harry doesn't want anyone else to hear them.

"I was jus' thinkin' how it don' do anythin' but sit in tha' museum."

"Right."

"An' it's no' gettin' much use doin' tha'."

"It's not," Hayden agrees.

"So..." Harry draws out the word, looking at him hopefully.

There's a long moment of silence before Hayden speaks.

"Do you want the crown?"

"Aye. I do."

"Then you'll get it," he says simply.

"Jus' like tha'?" Harry asks, one eyebrow cocked. "I won' have to convince yeh none?"

"If you want it then you'll get it," Hayden says seriously. "All you have to do is ask, Harry. I'll give you anything I can and find a way for the things I can't."

"An' I'd do the same," Harry immediately promises.

Hayden smiles and leans in to give him a soft kiss. "I know," he says when they pull away.

Harry chuckles as a thought occurs to him, shaking his head. "We are a dang'rous com'nation," he decides. He sounds distinctly proud of it. "Takin' the Queen's Crown an' all."