Chapter 13

"Okay," Jay says slowly, still staring at the spot Circe stood only seconds before. "That... happened."

Carlos shoots him a look. "Yeah. It did," he says sarcastically. "Thanks for that summary, Jay."

"Not now, guys," Evie snaps. Her eyes are on Mal who is clearly panicking about what Circe said. "Mal, calm down."

"How can I calm down?" she asks tensely. "She just said that she turned Ben into... something and I'm supposed to calm down?!?"

"Technically, I think she implied that Audrey turned him into something," Gil points out.

"Not helping!" Mal snaps.

Naturally, Uma immediately jumps on Mal for taking that attitude with her second mate. "You better back up now."

Ignoring the argument that inevitably starts, Harry turns to Hayden with an expectant look. "Come on then," he urges. "Grab tha' Ember an' end the curse."

Smirking slightly, Hayden reaches into his jacket. "I've got it, Harry," he assures him.

"Go on," Harry says anxiously. "Ev'ry minute yeh do nothin' tha' curse is gettin' worse."

Hayden reaches out and grabs Harry's hand, pulling him to the side while the others continue to argue. "Hey," he says quietly. "What did I tell you before?"

"Hayden-"

"You're not gonna lose me, Harry," he says firmly. "I'll get rid of this curse. We'll get the scepter back. Audrey will somehow be punished, and I'll claim Circe's soul for the Underworld."

Harry takes a deep breath and nods along. "Righ'. Righ'. Ev'rythin' will be fine."

Seeing the tension still in his shoulders Hayden reaches into his jacket and grabs the Ember. It glows in his hand as his eyes do the same. He concentrates and, with a pulse of pure power, can feel the curse leave him.

Hayden takes a deep breath. His lungs don't stutter at all and that persistent feeling of wrongness is gone.

He has just enough time to slip the Ember back in his jacket before he finds himself pulled into familiar arms. Harry breathes a sigh of complete relief as he presses their foreheads together.

"I hate magic," he mutters. "It don' do a thin' but cause trouble."

"Usually, yeah," Hayden agrees. "Don't worry, Harry. Circe won't be a problem for much longer."

Harry grins. "I love it when yer all bloodthirs'y."

"I know you do," Hayden tells him in amusement. Still, he can't deny the way it warms his black heart to know that Harry accepts every bit of him with no judgement and even enjoys it.

"Oh!" Harry suddenly exclaims. He steps back and pulls one of the rings on his hands off, holding it up for Hayden to see. "Almos' forgo' this."

"It looks good on you," Hayden tells him honestly. "Fitting, I mean."

"Yeh jus' like seein' me in skulls."

"Guilty as charged."

Harry slips the skull ring back on Hayden's right hand with a smile. Ocean blue eyes meet bright golden and they just look at each other for a long moment.

They both know their thoughts are heading in the same direction. They both think it doesn't quite feel right for him to be putting a ring on that hand; it should be the other one.

Neither of them voices those thoughts. They need to keep their priorities (ironically) straight. With any luck, they'll have time to repeat that particular conversation after they've dealt with the current problem.