Chapter 2

He gets there just in time to hear Evie already discussing wedding plans.

"Okay, so, I've only done about a thousand sketches of your wedding dress," she tells her, "and Belle's already planned an engagement party next week."

"It's a really good thing I said yes," Mal says playfully as she hugs her future in-laws.

"Might have been a bit awkward otherwise," Hayden chimes in, smirking when they all jump at his appearance.

"Hayden!" Evie scolds, one hand pressed to her chest. "I swear I'm going to start sewing bells into everything I make for you."

"I'd just take them off," he says with a shrug. He gives her a pointed look. "Shadows, Evie. Shadows. I'm supposed to move silently."

Mal gives him a bright smile, obviously still riding the high of her engagement. "Well, I'm just glad you actually came, even if you did startle every one of us. I know this isn't exactly your scene." She holds her arms out with a hopeful look. "Can I have a hug? I did just get engaged."

He can feel everybody else's eyes on him as he thinks about it. They all know that the only person he's really comfortable touching is Harry. Even with everything they've all been through together, anything besides an occasional high-five or fist bump is still basically unheard of.

Hayden sighs and opens his own arms, allowing Mal to attach herself to him with a small squeal. "Congratulations, Mallie," he tells her quietly.

"Thanks, Hayden," she says softly, burying her face in his chest.

He clears his throat and gently pushes her away, taking a step back as Ben, Jay, Carlos, Jane, and Doug join the group.

Ben, like Mal, can't seem to stop smiling. "What about me?" he asks playfully. "Do I get a hug? I mean, I'm part of this engagement too."

Hayden gives him a look. "Don't push your luck," he tells him seriously. Everybody laughs as Ben pouts.

"You know," Carlos says with a grin, "Auradon's softened pretty much all of us except you, Hayden."

"I'm set in my ways," he deadpans.

Jane rolls her eyes from where she stands next to Carlos, their fingers laced. "We can all see that," she says, gesturing as his black everything.

Hayden just sends her a smirk. It's nice to know that Jane's gotten over her fear of him, but he does occasionally miss the amusement he always got from that scared little squeak of hers.

The others fall into easy conversation with Fairy Godmother, Belle, and Beastie all congratulating the royal couple once again. As Mal and Belle share another hug, Hayden catches Beastie's eye. The former king gives him a small smile and a nod.

Hayden returns half the gesture.

See, since the Isle was opened and the royal council (now just referred to as the ruling council) was reconstructed, he's gotten along much better with Ben's parents. They're civil if nothing else. After all, Hayden forgives but never forgets and he makes sure they don't forget that either.

Case in point, he still refuses to call the man Adam. Instead, it's always either Beast or Beastie.

His attention is drawn to Mal when her hand is grabbed by a certain bottle blonde.

"Congratulations," Audrey says in a tone that implies the direct opposite. "You won him fair and square. Oh, wait, no, you didn't."

Hayden glides closer as Mal's smile falls.

"You spelled Ben to destroy all of Auradon," Audrey continues. "Touching story for the grandkids," she adds sarcastically.

"Green's not your color," Hayden tells her as he stops beside and slightly in front of Mal, placing himself between the two of them.