Chapter 7

They take the time for almost everyone (meaning everyone but Harry and Uma) to change into something more appropriate for the Isle. Things may have been changed but the residents are still largely the same as they've always been.

It's all leather and studs, not silk and lace.

The trip across the bridge to the Isle is relatively simple, certainly easier and quicker than before the barrier was removed. They take Mal's new limo which is, surprisingly, not quite as obnoxiously purple on the inside as Harry and Uma both feared.

While it's not exactly rare for the royal couple to travel to the Isle, it's also not nearly as common now as it was when they were first establishing renovations and change. As such, they take care to cover the vehicle with a couple of tarps in a manner that gives many of them a distinct sense of Déjà vu.

They check one last time that not an inch of purple is visible before Ben claps his hands together.

"Okay, guys," he says before turning to Harry. "Uh, you said something about seeing a CJ while we wait to get the Ember?"

Harry nods. "Aye. She's prob'ly no' actu'lly werkin' yet, but we'll find her there."

"Find who exactly?" Ben asks in confusion as Harry and Uma start toward Pirate's Bay. "And where does she work?"

"Come on, Ben," Mal says, grabbing his hand as they follow the pirates.

"But where are we going?"

"To see my sister," Harry calls over his shoulder. He looks back with a too-wide grin. "We're headin' to The Crimson Cutlass."

"Captain Hook's bar," Uma elaborates and Ben nods with an 'ah' of understanding. "Well, it's technically his," she adds with a shrug. "Might as well be CJ's."

They walk mostly in silence from there. A few people give them slightly odd looks, but no one stops them or actually asks any questions. The closer they get to the bay, the less looks they get. After all, it's not exactly odd to see Uma or Harry in the area even for all that they've technically moved to the mainland.

As they make their way down the streets of the Isle, they see more and more changes that the last year has brought. While the place still looks rundown and is still generally darker than Auradon, the quality of life is significantly improved.

They pass by a small group of kids by one of the alleys just before they officially reach Pirate's Bay and can see that they have a worn deck of cards. There's a pile of dried fruit and a handful of coins they look to be gambling with.

Their cheeks can't be described as plump but they're also not hollow. Their clothing, while still patched and frayed, is clearly made that way more for aesthetics than anything. Their little faces turn as they pass, filled with curiosity and only a slight wariness.

Evie lets her hand drift over her purse when she sees the way a few of them eye it closely. Still, she can't help but notice that they seem to do it more from habit than anything.

There's no desperate hunger in their eyes that will push them to actually try anything.

Ben wrinkles his nose as the air fills with the smell of ocean water and fish. A glance at Uma and Harry in front of them shows that they seem perfectly comfortable. A glance at the other four shows that they seem to appreciate it about as much as he does.

"So, what is this place like anyway?" he asks.

Mal bites at her bottom lip. "I've never actually been in before," she admits. "I've barely even looked at the place."