10. Leather pants and harnesses

:: Chapter 10 ::

Leather pants and harnesses.

×○×○

Zach

Mira came through the front door of the Brewers house, bags in her hand, bagpack slinged on one of her shoulders.

Zach was helping her mother in the kitchen- more like grabbing snacks for himself- when he heard the front door open. On his mother's request he went to check. "Hey Keels, do you.." he stopped when he saw her tutor struggle through the door, locked in a fight with inanimate objects. Shopping bags I mean.

Amused I asked, "Need help?" She stopped and looked up, a guilty look on her face. She bit her tongue slightly, eyebrow arched.

Straightening up, she asked in a sultry voice. "Do you mind?" Then bit her lower lip. I pursed my lips together hard, determined to not laugh and attract unnecessary attention of his parents.

"I don't know what you ate today to make you do that." I was curious.

Moving forward, I smoothly grabbed all the shopping bags from her hands, trying to peek inside- but stopped when her hand hit the back of his head.

"Don't misunderstand, I was just trying to get my act on for tonight." Huh?

"What do you mean? Careful." I warned as we stepped on the staircase.

"So Zach does have a heart." She gave me sidelong look.

"Of course I do. And don't dodge the question." I took two steps at a time and jumped to the top of the stair case, blocking her path.

"I'm not. I'll tell you after we finish the lesson." She spoke when she reached the top. Having said the statement, she shoved me slightly and went to my room. I stood there, against the doorframe, when she spoke. "You coming?"

"Yes." Tonight huh?

×○×○

"Now can you tell me just what is going on?" I closed the thick biology book as it rattled the makeshift study table. I had a completely fine, wooden desk right there but Mira wouldn't let me use it, saying I would fall asleep and she wouldn't be able to keep an on me or something.

Well I think she just wants to besides me.

She picked up one of the white bags lying on my bed, no logo or anything to give away what was happening.

"Zach." She pronounced my name as if it took away so much of her energy. "Have you forgotten?" I nodded. I don't know what she was talking about. "Aren't you going to a party today?"

Realization hit me like a truck. So this is what everyone kept blabbering on about at lunch today. I jumped up from the ground, to my bed. A startled gasp left Mira's mouth, I ignored it and rolled towards my side table to grab my phone.

As expected there were a thousand messages reminding him of today's party at Ben's- whoever that was- house.

I let out a short scream in my pillow before turning around and facing the ceiling, hands falling limp besides me. For a blissful silent moment I just stared at the white ceiling. Staring at the Beatles poster past besides my fan.

I had went through a major singing phase and pasted this poster on my wall. Wanting to go to sleep looking at my favourite band.

Nostalgia swept over him. Remembering how Keeley and Zach got scolded for doing something that could potentially harm them. After all, standing on a chair which swayed dangerously on a soft mattress wasn't the best idea. Ever.

It was the last thing anyone remembered about his room. About him. Even Keeley.

A face disguised the poster from his view, pulling him out of the loophole of lost memories.

"And I'm going too."

"What!" I screeched and sat up, bumping heads with Mira. "Ah!" I rubbed my temple and so did Mira before she cursed.

"Fuck Zach."

After the pain subsided, "Yeah?" I answered, a sound on its way to laughter. Suddenly everything seemed funny.

Mira listened to me lose it for a moment, before falling on my bed, arms sprawled out. "What's so funny?" Even as she asked him, he knew he didn't have to answer. He could hear the credulity of his actions in her voice.

Laughing, I fell back on my bed, "Ouch Zach I think you broke my arm." And too, apparently on Mira's arm. She quickly pulled out her arm from underneath my head.

Then it was silent, a smile on his face as he gazed up at the many other posters besides the Beatles one, showing history; 5 Seconds of Summer, 1 Direction, Jonas brothers and some very recent ones like Ariana Grande, Billie Eilsih, Doja cat. I was lost in remembering how obsessed I was with some of them.

The next words that came out her mouth, I thought I had imagined. "So
"Its really pretty. The only thing in your room that shows you are a bit more than just a guy who has a serious obsession with football." She might be referring to the medals and trophies in his room.

He was tempted to turn his head and look at her. For some reason her words went deep inside him, like he was waiting his whole life for someone to acknowledge him more than who they saw on the field.

More than he cared to show anyone.

He didn't turn, because he could feel her gaze in him already, scared just how close she was right now.

"Does it? I think my face says that I can also be Mr. Universe." I gave her an awkward chuckle, wanting the ceiling to open up and swallow him whole.

No snarky comment or biting reply came.

He felt the weight from besides him lift up. He tilted his head to look. Mira was pulling things out of the bags- clothes.

When she felt me looking, she picked up a set of clothes and threw them in my direction. Straight in the face.

"Hey careful, that's my face!" I took off the dark olive-green shirt from my head. Noting the that's the pants were much more matte?

"I know. And I know one more thing, that is you have horrible fashion."

"What are you trying to imply?" I narrowed my eyes in on her. "Girls die when they look at me." I saw her roll her eyes. "And what is this?" I held up the black pants.

I saw her smirk. "That is what you call leather pants." The she threw something that seemed like a black cobra at me, but I know better.

"A belt?" I held up a back belt just to see it attached to another one, a closer look and saw that they were stiched together.

"And this is called a harness."

×○×○
zimi
06.04.2021.