xiv.

-------
......

I have always thought that an appreciation
of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals.
It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and, t
his author hopes, inspires more newsworthy pursuits.

A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today,
where several attractions will be on display.
Like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson,
newly recovered from her mysterious illness
and expected to finally rejoin the season.

Of course, there is today's royal attraction as well,
Prince Friedrich of Prussia.
His Highness has come to our shores in want of a fine Fräulein.
Could this be the reason a certain language tutor
has been seen visiting Cowper House all week?

......
--------

WE are currently walking up towards the steps of the Somerset House. We are here to visit the new wing that has opened. "Will you look at that." I say as I see a large group of girls with their mothers standing around a person dressed in blue. "Looks like the paintings aren't the only attraction today." I say and nod at them. Daphne who is walking beside me follows my gaze. "He does get a lot of attention." she says and looks a bit sad. She looks towards the ground when we get close to the group. "But it doesn't look like he is enjoying himself." I say as we walk past them. I look at the prince and see that he looks at Daphne. I smile. This is going to be a perfect match. We walk inside and get pointed in the right direction. I am walking between Colin and Benedict now. Mother and Anthony are walking in front of us and in front of them are Daphne, Hyacinth, and Gregory. We walk into a hall with large walls and a glass roof. The walls are filled from the bottom to the top with all different sizes of paintings. I look at Benedict and see that his eyes are filled with joy. Mother and Anthony stop walking and so do Colin, Benedict, and I. "Miss Anna Vaughn. Speaks several languages, I hear. Miss Mary Egglesfield. She's meant to be quite the reader." I hear mother say. "Were I looking for a list of debutantes and their dubious accomplishments, I could have stayed home and read Lady Whistledown." Anthony says and walks away. Mother reaches back to grab Benedict's hand. "No, no, no." Benedict says and darts aside into the crowd. "Colin." mother says and hooks her arm with his. He looks at me and mouths the word help. I just smile at him and wave as they walk away. I see Benedict walking towards me and we both laugh. "You are lucky that you escaped in time." I say. "Yes, I know." he says and we both look around the hall. Benedict hooks his left arm through my right and we walk toward a painting that no one is looking at. It is a painting of a brown-haired woman who is sitting on a red chair. Her dress is white and has a green ribbon tied just below her blossom. The background is just black and she has a small smile but doesn't look happy. We stand there for a while, staring at the painting and I am about to ask what he thinks of it when Lady Danbury walks towards us and stops at Benedict's right side. She isn't alone but has a man dressed in red walking beside her. I have never seen that man before and I know for a fact that Lady Danbury isn't married, so it must be one of her friends. "It's much too cold." Benedict says to her and she and the men look at him. "Where's any sense of the subject's spirit? And the light! Given the quality I do wonder why the piece was not skyed with the other daubs." he continues as they look back at the painting. I see a smile tug at Lady Danbury's lips. What is she planning? "Perhaps we should ask the artist." Lady Danbury says. "Well, that would be something, Lady Danbury." Benedict says and I see the man beside her smile. Oh no. Don't tell me. Lady Danbury turns to the man. "Mr. Granville, why was your piece not skyed?" she asks the man. I put a hand over my mouth and try to hold in my laughter. "Mr. Granville, I-I" Benedict starts. "If you will excuse me, um, I must find my wife." Mr. Granville says and he walks away. Lady Danbury chuckles and I let out a laugh. "You diabolical...How could you let me rattle on like that?" Benedict asks. "How could I not, my dear Mr. Bridgerton? It was riotously funny, you must admit." Lady Danbury says with a smile. Then she nods at me and walks away. "What are you laughing at?" Benedict asks a bit flushed. "You should have seen your face." I say. "I am never getting rid of this am I?" he asks. "No, you aren't." I say and smile. "Well, I will let you continue commenting on the paintings. Try to not insult another piece while the artist is standing next to you will you." I say and start to walk away. "Haha very funny." he says and I smile.