7. The Forbidden Forest

A few days later, Y/N was walking in the park with Harry after the end of Gryffindor's Quidditch team training when Harry said, "We have to tell Dumbledore about Snape."

"And what proof do we have?" Y/N asked. "If we just go without any, he'll think we're mad."

"But Snape's going to pass the dog, and I'm sure he won't wait for the end of the year!"

Speaking of Snape. . . . A hooded figure came swiftly down the front steps of the castle. Clearly not wanting to be seen, it walked as fast as possible toward the forbidden forest. The two friends recognized the figure's prowling walk. Snape, sneaking into the forest while everyone else was at dinner—what was going on? Y/N and Harry looked at each other and, with a tacit agreement, they followed him.

The trees were so thick they couldn't see where Snape had gone. They walked silently, taking care not to break any branches until they heard voices. Harry went ahead, followed quickly by Y/N, and they each climbed carefully on a tree, trying to see through the leaves. Below, in a shadowy clearing, stood Snape, but he wasn't alone. Quirrell was there, too. Y/N couldn't make out the look on his face, but he was stuttering worse than ever. Y/N strained to catch what they were saying.

". . . d-don't know why you wanted t-t-to meet here of all p-places, Severus. . . ."

"Oh, I thought we'd keep this private," Snape said, his voice icy. "Students aren't supposed to know about the Philosopher's Stone, after all."

Y/N and Harry leaned forward. Quirrell was mumbling something. Snape interrupted him.

"Have you found out how to get past that beast of Hagrid's yet?"

"B-b-but Severus, I . . ."

"You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell," Snape said, taking a step toward him.

"I-I don't know what you . . ."

"You know perfectly well what I mean."

An owl hooted loudly, and Y/N nearly fell out of the tree. He steadied himself in time to hear Snape say:

". . . your little bit of hocus-pocus. I'm waiting."

"B-but I d-d-don't . . ."

"Very well," Snape cut in. "We'll have another little chat soon, when you've had time to think things over and decided where your loyalties lie."

He threw his cloak over his head and strode out of the clearing. It was almost dark now, but Y/N could see Quirrell, standing quite still as though he was petrified.

"Well, now we have our proof that Snape's up to something," Harry said quietly to Y/N as they got inside the castle.

"Y/N, where have you been?" Hermione squeaked.

"Never mind that now," Harry cut. "Let's find an empty room, you wait 'til you hear this. . . ."

They made sure Peeves—the most annoying yet funny ghost of Hogwarts—wasn't inside before shutting the door behind them, then Y/N and Harry told Hermione and Ron what they had seen and heard.

"So we were right," Harry explained, "it is the Philosopher's Stone, and Snape's trying to force Quirrell to help him get it. He asked if he knew how to get past Fluffy. . . ."

"And he said something about Quirrell's 'hocus pocus'," Y/N added. "I reckon there are other things guarding the stone apart from Fluffy, loads of enchantments, probably, and Quirrell would have done some anti-Dark Arts spell that Snape needs to break through."

"So, you mean the Stone's only safe as long as Quirrell stands up to Snape?" Hermione said in alarm.

"It'll be gone by next Tuesday," Ron sighed.