39. The First Task

Y/N walked with Fleur, striding across the grounds toward the castle.

Just as they crossed the wooden bridge, Professor Flitwick arrived. "L/N. Please, follow me. I'd like to talk with you."

He nodded, said goodbye to Fleur and followed the tiny professor.

When they reached the entrance hall, which was packed with people queuing for dinner, they saw Moody, who was waving his wand up and down, making a ferret fly in front of him.

"I don't like people who attack when their opponent's back's turned," Moody growled as the ferret bounced higher and higher, squealing in pain. "Stinking, cowardly, scummy thing to do. . . ."

The ferret flew through the air, its legs and tail flailing hopelessly.

"Never—do—that—again—" Moody said, speaking each word as the ferret hit the stone floor and bounced upward again.

In the entrance hall, everyone began laughing. Y/N spotted Harry, next to Moody.

"Professor Moody!" Professor Flitwick squeaked.

"Hello, Professor Flitwick," Moody said calmly, bouncing the ferret still higher.

"What—what are you doing?" Professor Flitwick said, his eyes following the bouncing ferret's progress through the air.

"Teaching," Moody said.

"Teach— Moody, is that a student?"

"Technically, it's a ferret," Moody said.

Then, all of a sudden, he grabbed the ferret and thrust it inside Crabbe's trousers. Crabbe began dancing around, screaming for help as everyone around burst into laughter.

Just as the ferret got out by the leg of Crabbe's trousers, Professor Flitwick pulled out his wand; a moment later, with a loud snapping noise, Draco Malfoy lay on the floor with his sleek blond hair all over his brilliantly pink face. He got to his feet, wincing.

"My father will hear about this!" he told Moody.

"Is that a threat?" Moody said.

"Professor Moody!" Professor Flitwick squeaked.

"Is that a threat?" Moody shouted, and he rushed after Malfoy, who ran away for his life.

"Moody!"

"I could tell you stories about your father that would curl even your greasy hair, boy!" Malfoy shouted.

"Alastor!"

"It doesn't end here!"

"Alastor!" Professor Flitwick said firmly, climbing up the stairs to look directly into Moody's eyes. "We never use Transfiguration as a punishment! Surely Professor Dumbledore told you that?"

"He might've mentioned it, yeah," Moody said, scratching his chin unconcernedly, "but I thought a good sharp shock—"

"We give detentions, Moody! Or speak to the offender's Head of House!"

"I'll do that, then," Moody said. And he limped off toward the dungeons, the dull clunk of his wooden leg echoing around the wall.

"L/N." Professor Flitwick went away up the staircase.

Y/N followed him. After crossing the floors and corridors, they came inside Professor Flitwick's office. He had never come in here. Surprisingly, Professor Flitwick didn't use tiny tables and chairs, even here; there was a pile of books on the chair behind his large desk, as in the Charm classroom.