16. An Unusual Christmas Evening

For the next two weeks, the whole school echoed with discussions about the double attack. Curiously, it was Nearly Headless Nick's fate that seemed to worry people most, not Justin's—even if ten minutes before his assault, everyone seemed to worry over Justin. After some thought, however, it made sense. Who wouldn't be intrigued by a monster that could turn a ghost into mist? Turning something already dead into something...more dead.

Yet Y/N quickly lost interest in all that. He prefered to think about Fawkes, whom he went to see once every three days, not daring to disturb Dumbledore more. Mostly, these visits next to the phoenix allowed him to forget the duelling club and the following events, and he wouldn't say no to that. He had searched in the library, trying to understand what he had felt, without success, and Dumbledore didn't say a word even though he seemed to know—or at least suspect—something. The more time passed, the more what had happened with Harry and the serpent bothered him.

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron said. "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. What a jolly holiday it's going to be."

It brought Y/N back to the real world. He was at the Great Hall's entrance, in front of the noticeboard. Y/N had told his parents he wasn't coming back because of important exams just after the break. His father had protested, yet his mother had said it was the Ravenclaw spirit, and so they let him do as he pleased.

"What's going on?" Y/N asked, still emerging from his thoughts.

"There's a stampede to book seats," Hermione said. "Everyone's panicking."

"And Malfoy isn't leaving, so neither are Crabbe and Goyle," Ron said darkly. "When I think that I hoped to get rid of them."

"You forget we have to finish the Polyjuice Potion," Hermione said. "And then there's the plan."

"I know," Ron replied. "But you know, brewing potion doesn't make me happy either—"

"I'm glad the others are leaving," Harry said abruptly. "I've had enough of them avoiding me like I'm going to spit poison at them. And hearing whispers behind my back."

"You're not the only one," Y/N sighed.

Fortunately, Y/N and Harry had Fred and George to cheer them up. The twins found all of this very funny and had fun marching ahead of the two down the corridors, shouting, "Make way for the Heir of Slytherin and his Chambre of Secrets monster! Watch out! Seriously evil wizard and dangerous monster coming through..."

Although some didn't like the joke—Percy first—Y/N and Harry didn't mind; it was good to see some people finding the idea of them being dangerous ludicrous.

Fred's and George's antics seemed to be aggravating Malfoy, who looked increasingly sour each time he saw them at it.

"That's because he's bursting to say it's really him," Ron said knowingly.

"He won't have to wait for long," Hermione said in a satisfied tone. "The Polyjuice Potion's nearly ready. We'll be getting the truth out of him any day now."

Christmas holidays came faster than Y/N thought they would. He realised it when he found his common room and the bookshelves empty. One evening, he found himself stuck outside the common room; the riddle given by the eagle-shaped bronze knocker was too overly complicated. So he went to sleep undercover in the Gryffindor common room; luckily, Hermione was still outside so he could go inside with her. Overall, the holidays were going very well.

On Christmas morning, a loud succession of knock on the door woke Y/N up. When he opened it, Hermione was about to knock again, Harry and Ron half asleep behind her.