38. The Weighing of the Wands

The following day, Y/N woke up early. He didn't want to face the other Ravenclaws and their disapproving looks. He dressed and went down the staircase into the common room. No one. He walked quickly over to the door, pushed it open and began climbing down the moving stairs to the Great Hall. As he arrived into the entrance hall, he found himself face-to-face with Hermione.

"Hello," she said, holding up a stack of toast, which she was carrying in a napkin. "I brought you this. . . . Want to go for a walk?"

Y/N glanced through the doors at the Great Hall. No wonder he had seen nobody in the common room; all the Ravenclaws seemed to be inside, already eating their breakfast.

"Good idea," he said.

They were soon striding across the lawn toward the lake, where the Durmstrang ship was moored, reflected blackly in the water. It was a chilly morning, and they kept moving, munching their toast, as Y/N told Hermione exactly what had happened after he had gone behind the door behind the teacher's table the night before. To his relief, Hermione accepted his story without question.

"Well, of course I knew you hadn't entered yourself," she said when he had finished telling her about the scene in the chamber off the Hall. "The look on your face when Dumbledore read out your name! But the question is, who did put it in? Because Moody's right, Y/N. . . . I don't think any student could have done it . . . they'd never be able to fool the Goblet, or get through Dumbledore's Age Line."

"Obviously it was somebody who wants my neck broken," Y/N said wryly.

"That's not funny," Hermione said quietly. "That's not funny at all." She looked extremely anxious.

"Hey, don't worry," he said soothingly. "They said they've set new safety measures, didn't they? I'm sure I'll be all right."

She looked less anxious, though just by an inch.

"I don't know, Y/N. I don't like it."

Y/N was in the middle of a Charms lesson when Colin Creevey edged into the room and walked up to Professor Flitwick's desk, at the front of the room.

"Yes?" Professor Flitwick said squeakily.

"Please, sir, I'm supposed to take Y/N L/N upstairs."

"L/N has another hour of Charms to complete," Professor Flitwick said. "Can't this wait until the class is finished?"

"Um . . . sir, the journalist wants him," Colin said nervously. "All the champions have got to go, I think they want to take photographs. . . ."

"Very well. L/N—take your bag, you can go."

Y/N swung his bag over his shoulder, got up and headed for the door. As he walked through the doorway he saw Harry, waiting in the corridor, looking worried and miserable.

"It's amazing, isn't it, Harry?" Colin said the moment Y/N closed the door behind him. "Isn't it, though? You being a champion?"

"Yeah, really amazing," Harry said heavily as they set off toward the moving staircase. "What do they want photos for, Colin?"

"The Daily Prophet, I think!"

"Great," Y/N said. "Exactly what we need."

They arrived in front of the door. Colin left, leaving Y/N and Harry alone. They knocked on the door and entered.

It was a fairly small classroom; most of the desks had been pushed away to the back of the room, leaving a large space in the middle. Viktor Krum was standing moodily in a corner and not talking to anybody. Cedric and Fleur were in conversation.