chapter 14

A lump formed in Zara's throat. It felt like her soul had left her body. Then she said something everyone felt, right in their hearts.

''She died...?''

Silence.

Guilt spread on the woman's face, followed by realization. She searched for words but was lost. She stared at Zara. Everyone stared at Zara. And she just stood there, completely paralyzed.

Even Minho didn't speak as he felt the uncomfortable atmosphere.

''I- I'm so sorry, Zara.'' The woman eventually spoke. Her expression saddened. ''I didn't know you- he...'' She fell silent, darting her eyes between Zara and Thomas. Her lips set in a hard line, then she forced a smile in her lips and looked at Brenda.

''Take her to the tent.'' She told the two men behind Jorge.

Then turned to Vince. ''And get these guys some warm clothes.''

Zara slowly regained full conscious. She watched the two men lifting up Brenda, they carried her over to a tent. She turned to look at Thomas. He looked back, she looked away. Vince, in front of them, his expression had softened a lot. His eyes revealed guilt. He seemed calm and... compassionate. He was a completely different person than a few minutes ago, when he would pull out his gun and dare to shoot their friend. He was much better this way.

But Zara couldn't feel any satisfaction. Neither joy. Or relief. She didn't know what to feel. She felt nothing.

''Thomas, Zara, c'mon.'' The woman beckoned them. ''I'll tell you everything, but first I need some of your blood Thomas.''

Zara searched for Thomas' eyes and found them. He was doubting, so was Zara. But after all that happened, what could possibly make it worser? So, the two decided to follow the woman towards a green tent; the same one Brenda was brought to.

The woman squeezed herself in between Thomas and Zara, who were forced to not walk next to each other. Then she put her arms on their backs. As if they'd known each other for years.

And they did, but Zara and Thomas didn't know.

They walked into the big green tent. One look was enough to tell it was the medical tent. An infirmary, but with only one person laying on a stretcher; Brenda. She was breathing heavily, coughing every now and then. Jorge was sitting on a stool next to her, his hands were folded, his gaze locked on Brenda.

The woman made Thomas sit down on a wooden stool. Zara took a seat on a bench a few yards away. She made sure she could keep a close eye on Thomas and Brenda.

''I'm Mary.'' The woman eventually said. She paused with was she was doing for a moment to study Thomas' and Zara's reactions, as if expecting something. When she took in that Thomas and Zara had no idea who she was, she looked away and continued opening drawers to grab some things.

''You don't remember, do you?'' She softly spoke.

Zara and Thomas exchanged looks. Thomas spoke for them both. ''Wh, what are we supposed to remember?''

Mary let out a soft, forced chuckle. Then shook her head to herself. ''He did it. He really did it.''

''Did what? Who did what?'' Zara now insisted.

''Janson. He erased your memories.''

Zara froze, again. She stared ahead, zoned out. A wave of shock washed over her.

This could make it any worser.

Without giving them further information, Mary took some blood from Thomas' arm with a needle. She mixed it with something and let it withdraw shortly. Thomas watched as she did so but glanced to Zara and Brenda every now and then. Mary continued doing her thing, not bothering to look up or talk.