chapter 27

''Just follow me, please!'' Zara commanded. She didn't wait for an answer, spun and ran back in the direction she'd come from. Sweat dripped down her forehead and stinged as it reached the wound on her cheek. Dried blood was on her clothes, face and neck. Her legs burned from running, her heart pounded in her chest, her throat was dried out. The by the running created wind blew her long hair back, causing it to fly behind her. Zara kept running, squeezing the cold tube in her clammy hand as if it was the only thing that could save their lives right now. And practically, it was.

Because if Newt died, Zara'd die with him.

Her legs had never carried her so fast and so intense. They cramped, her cheek burned, her lungs were about to burst, and her heart was pounding in her throat, but she kept running. With Minho, Brenda, Frypan and Gally behind her. With the steps that Zara took, her fear grew. Fear for being too late. Things ran through her mind, but one thing kept gnawing at her. Not sure since when, but Newt didn't feel like a friend. He felt like more. Not as in -in love- more, but special. He felt special.

Maybe she was a little in love with him.

A smack despair hit her, almost making her slow down. But instead, the girl found herself getting an energy boost. She was sure about her decision; in a few seconds she would tell Newt exactly what she felt. Whether he was a Crank or not, he had to know. Deep inside, she felt the longing for him. She was almost there. With that on her mind, she made her way towards the parking lot.

Left tun, right turn, into the building. Her heart started pounding faster and the adrenaline rushed through her veins.

But what she found there, wasn't even close to what she expected.

It took a second before she processed what was happening in front of her, soon to realize there wasn't much happening.

Newt lay on the ground. Thomas stood next to him, stock-still, staring at Newt. Shivers ran all over Zara's body. Though her mind was completely empty. She couldn't take in what she saw, she didn't know what she saw or what it meant. She felt nothing yet but the same as a few minutes earlier. Only the sight of Thomas standing there felt weird.

Something was horribly wrong.

Zara slowly made her way forward. Her eyes met Thomas eyes. In the short time she was given, it all suddenly became clear to her mind.

Zara's eyes quickly glanced down to Newt, taking in the sight of something she hadn't noticed yet. There was a knife sticking out the middle of his chest. Horror filled her fast.

That was the last bit Zara needed to break. Not fully aware, she sprinted over to the boy on the ground and dropped to her knees.

''Newt...'' She softly spoke. ''Newt. NEWT!'' Her fragile voice gave away she was about to cry.

But the reality was there, the boy was dead by the time Zara reached him. Tears ran down her cheeks as her shaky hands touched his limp body. From there, she shifted to hold his still warm face.

''Hey, hey! Please, please wake up. Wake up.'' Her voice softened.

She felle silent for a little while, tears streamed down her face like never before, making her feel lightheaded.

''I love you, do you hear me? I should've said it earlier.'' The girl sobbed into his body. ''Dammit wake up! I love you...''

When a heartbreaking scream left her mouth, she felt hands around her stomach from behind, Thomas was trying to pull her up. Zara immediately resisted and tried to hold on to Newt.

''NO! I'M NOT LEAVING HIM.'' She cried, begging Thomas to stop. ''Please. PLEASE!''

Another scream escaped her mouth. The salty tears pricked the wound on her cheek. Her hands were still holding the boy's face, the light in his brown eyes was gone. Zara's heart broke, she could literally feel the pain in her chest.

''I shouldn't have left... I'm so sorry.'' Her soft voice broke at the last word. She closed her eyes and pressed her face into his body, crying.

When she felt Thomas' hands grab from behind for the second time, she didn't resist. Instead, she got to her feet without saying anything, turned to the boy and walked straight into his chest Soon for Thomas to lock her up in his arms and squeeze her tightly. His words were taken away, such as Zara's. And Minho's, Brenda's, Frypan's and Gally's, who were standing behind them.

Zara pulled away from Thomas and turned to look at Newt. In her hand, Zara was still holding the clear tube with blue liquid in it: the cure. The cure was in her hands. She glanced down at it, knelt down next to Newt's body and felt everyone's eyes on her. Quickly, she opened the tube, brought it to Newt and poured it over his chest, as she felt her heart ache.

Immediately, Thomas' voice met her ear.

''NO.'' He pulled her up by her arm and looked at her with an earnest expression. ''We needed to cure you with that one.'' His voice was raspy.

Zara swallowed as her eyes never left Thomas'. Now she started to feel something. And it wasn't from sadness. Something inside her body was growing. Something that shouldn't be there. She was nauseous and felt weaker than before. Thomas still had a concerned look on his face. Zara slowly shook her head.

''I don't care. That one's for him'' Her voice broke. ''He deserves it more than I do.''

Thomas eyes filled with tears. 

word count: 940

(A/N: really short, and this chapter sucks so I'll probably rwrite it soon again.)