chapter 23

She laid down and slid her hand under her pillow to grab Newt's bracelet. When she didn't feel anything, she sat up again and picked up the pillow.

No bracelet. And she was sure she'd put it right there.

It was gone.

Five days went by.

It was later in the day. Around ten in the evening. Zara walked down the corridor, making her way back from the bathroom to her room. She was still wearing the outfit of that day, consisting of high-waisted dark blue jeans, a simple black t-shirt and white sneakers but planned on changing into pajamas as soon as she would enter her room. Her hair danced on her back, falling over her shoulders. She felt good, sort of. Somehow, someway.

Oh, yeah. Her father had arrived three days ago. Two days after Zara. Weird enough, he hadn't talked to her yet. Neither did they have dinner together, like they always used to. Actually, she didn't even know where he was in that building. The previous one was already a problem, now it only got three times worse. There was no house which was theirs. Zara's bathroom was three doors away from her own room, and she didn't even know if she was the only one who used it. Anyway, the way he acted towards her wasn't that different, but it was a little different. Because it wasn't like those two exchanged lots of their life stories.

And she was breaking her mind trying to make up a plan for Minho that would work. Without getting caught. But as long as nobody could read her mind, she was on the safe side.

One thing just couldn't leave her alone. Something was missing on her wrist. It was empty, felt empty. Something that belonged there wasn't there. Newt's bracelet. Five days ago, after she'd returned from talking to Minho, it disappeared. She'd placed it under her pillow, but it hadn't been there anymore. It stressed the heck out of Zara, and she'd been hysterically searching for it the next hours, but with no results. Someone took it. That was the only logical explanation she'd figured.

She reached out to the door handle, when someone called her name from behind.

''Zara! Zara Janson.''

Zara turned around to see a guard-or soldier- running up to her.

''Yeah?''

The man stopped in front of her. He carried a gun. A big one. Zara scanned it in question. He spoke up.

'''Where is your father? Dr. Janson?''

''I know who my dad is, thanks for the clarification.'' She blurted out. ''But I don't know where he is. If you figure out, let me know so I can stay as far away from his as possible.''

The guard wore a helmet, tinted. But he was most likely frowning. He shook his head and pointed his finger at Zara. She looked at it.

''You.'' He poked her collarbone. ''Come with me. We're gonna find your daddy.''

Zara rolled her eyes. ''Don't... call him that. Just, dad. Or father. You know what, he's your boss. Call him Dr. Janson like you're probably supposed to.''

The man ignored her and made Zara walk with him.  She wondered what was so important and longed to get in her bed and sleep, but she also didn't want to make effort to break free and run back to her room. Difficult choice, so she took the easiest. Walking along.

After at least fifteen minutes they found him getting out the elevator. The guard by Zara made him stop.

''Sir.'' He began.

Janson looked at him, not seeming all too happy. ''Yeah? What?''

''I have some very important information for you. Would you mind listening?''