chapter 29

The white of her eyes had become black. So did her blood vessels. The girl bared her teeth and growled. She made an attempt to jump to Thomas but just before she touched him, something stabbed her side.

Slowly, she sat back and turned her head to see what was in her side. Something stuck out of it.

The Cure. 

Five minutes later.

Thomas and Teresa were dragging Zara along. The girl had stopped growling. Out of breath, just like Thomas and Teresa, she was hopping along with them, avoiding standing on her right leg; the leg with the bullet that left a gaping wound.

Teresa pushed open a door leading to the rooftop runway. The sound of something in the air caught their ears.

Zara heard it too. She glanced up to the sky, immediately for a feeling of relief to fill her. It was the Berg with Jorge, Vince and the rest.

Within seconds, the Berg hung above the edge of the runway. As quickly as possible, Thomas and Teresa ran over to it with Zara in between them, trying her best to hop along. The stinging pain in her right leg made her nauseous. Her eyebrows knitted as she watched how the tailgate of the Berg opened.

Brenda, Frypan, Minho, Gally and Jorge appeared in the opening. There concerned looks soon gave way to relieve.

''Guys!'' Brenda shouted. Her voice was raspy, but happy. ''Guys', come on!''

Thomas and Teresa stepped forwards and put strength to lift Zara up, closer to the tailgate.

''Get her!'' Thomas commanded.

Zara glanced down to see a deep abyss beneath her. She was in the air, hanging in between the runway and the Berg. When Minho and Gally took her over, loud noises coming from the building sounded.

The boys pulled Zara on the Berg and held her as their eyes searched for the source of the loud sounds. It soon became clear when the back of the building started to collapse. A wave of fear hit Zara, but Minho held her on the ground with both hands. They watched as Brenda, Gally and Frypan pulled Thomas and Teresa up. Zara held her breath. When both of them planted their feet on the floor of the Berg, Zara breathed out.

The tailgate slowly closed as everyone watched the whole W.C.K.E.D building collapse and fall into one big fire.

Minho and Sonya gently pushed Zara to lay down. White spots filled her sight as her eyelids got heavier. All the emotions came out now. Tears stung her eyes. She gasped for air. They were safe. She was safe. But someone was missing. Her chest cramped with him on her mind. She closed her eyes and felt herself go unconscious, knowing everything had really come to an end.

But one person who should've been there too, was not there. The boy who deserved better. The boy Zara had fallen for. And she was too late to tell him she loved him.

word count: 486

(A/N: this one doesn't really make sense. The last few chapters really sucked ain't it? Please tell me if that's true, I'll rewrite them.)