Genres

Here is a list of the genres that are taking place. Please make sure you chose which one your book is under carefully before submitting your application.

Judges, this will also help your when your judging phase begins.

-

Action/Adventure – This story's primary feature should be the exciting occurrences. How thrilling is each chapter? Are they jam packed with near misses and nail biting scenes?

Fan Fiction – This story should be based on another fictitious work. Does it perfectly capture the original world? Does it expand on the original premise in all the right ways?

Fantasy – This story should be set in a fictional world or focus on fantastical elements in the real one. How well is this unique world presented? Is it well thought out and believable?

General Fiction – The books in the general fiction genre can be a combination of any three or more genres of fiction that cause them to be outside the limits and rules of those specific genres. How well are these incorporated? What makes this book so special?

Historical Fiction – These stories must take place in the past. How factually accurate and well researched is the story? Does the story paint a clear picture of the chosen time period?

Horror/Paranormal – For horror, the primary focus of the story should be fear itself. How is that created and does the author do it well? For Paranormal, it must include beings and phenomena that are outside the realm of normal scientific understanding of the natural world. How is this 'otherworldly' element interwoven into the text.

Mystery/Thriller – For Mystery, is the plot focused on a puzzling crime, situation or circumstance? Does the plot leave you vexed yet intrigued? For Thriller, is the overall mood of the piece suspenseful and exciting? Does it have you on the edge of your seat in anticipation?

New Adult/Chick Lit – For NA, is the protagonist between 18-30? Is the setting appropriate and believable of that age range? For CL, is the protagonist female? Are the themes and central plot focused on the struggles that women have to face?

Romance – A love story should be the central theme. What makes this relationship so special? Why is it worth telling?

Science Fiction – An imaginative and futuristic concept should be the main focus for the story. Does the story look delve into ideas such as advanced science and technology, space exploration, time travel, parallel universes, and extra-terrestrial life? Does it explore the potential consequences of scientific, social, and technological innovations? What makes this particular story so fascinating?

Teen Fiction – The protagonists of these stories must be within the age range of 12-18. Does it perfectly capture the struggles of teen life? Does this 'coming-of-age' story demonstrate the awkwardness of adolescence and the challenge of coping with difficult social issues?

Vampire/Werewolf – These stories must contain either Vampires or Werewolves as a central theme. Is it a fresh new take on the genre, or an amazing depiction of an age old idea? How well are these 'monsters' conveyed?

Poetry – Poetry should evoke clear emotion. Is it beautiful and thought provoking?

Short Story – Short stories should contain between 5,000 – 10,000 words, or under 5,000 for flash fiction.

Little Extras – These can be for any of the above genres. This category is here to give people a chance to enter a story once their own genre is filled.