Chapter 2: Luke

~Luke above~

January 7, 1942

It's sad. There's been a lot of deaths lately, but I assume it's because of the war. I've had to take too many souls away and I'm hoping that at least some of them had some happiness in their life when they died. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone who passed in their sleep. At least they wouldn't have been in pain.

Why am I even writing in here anyways? I found this empty on the battlefield one day and had guessed that a soldier lost it. But strangely enough there wasn't a mark anywhere. No stray sketches like I would normally witness. No pictures of family or friends. Just an empty, lifeless journal.

The other day I had to bring the soul of a young child to heaven. Died by being hit by a stray bullet at a riot near the bank on 54th street. It nearly brought me to tears, seeing a poor innocent child like that. I wonder how long it will be till the war ends. It could be a few years from or even a few days, but I just hope I don't have to bring another innocent to to Heaven or even worse Hell. That happened one day. A boy about seven was destined to murder his entire family in twenty years. As much as I hated sending him down for something he hadn't done yet, we all knew he would.

The rest of the reapers that have been working with me during this time were slowly growing weary of the battle brewing all over the world. It hasn't been this devastating in a long time. We've had to work in a lot of wars... But this... This was a massacre...

The king was telling us that it wouldn't be long before it's over and we'll all forget, but I don't want to forget about all the lives lost. It's only been a few years and there's been millions dead. Who could do such a thing? I'll give me great pleasure in taking them to Hell.

I think it's about time I return to work. I can hear a soul begging to be released not far away and no one has claimed it yet. If I can save it before it's eaten by some creature than I'll do it.

Till next time

-Luke