Chapter 13

Nick is trying to get backstage; he holds one hand up, resting on his head, so as to avoid losing his hat.

Rows of guys standing by the bar block his way, making him snort.
It's almost time, Julie is about to go on stage and, at that point, she will be out of reach.

He has to find her first, before his plan fails.

He pushes a blond-haired girl to the side, who calls him back in annoyance.
But Nick listens to nothing; he's too close to his goal to give up now.

He only stops when the bodyguard stops him from entering the backstage door.

Nick looks at him intently, then smiles.
The man's eyes glaze purple, until they are almost completely blind. He pulls back, allowing Nick to pass.

The boy says nothing, but pulls his hat down in assent.
He enters backstage, a big smile on his face.

..

The stage is higher than Julie expected, the lights seem lighter than usual.
<Guys..> she calls out to them as she sits on the dressing room couch, trying to stop the shaking in her legs.

Luke, Alex and Reggie turn to her, stopping for a moment to jump in excitement.

<Julie, are you okay?> Reggie walks over, sitting down next to her and running an arm around her shoulders.

Alex give Luke an intense glance and he kneels down to Julie's height. <Hey...you said it, didn't you? We're ready!>

The girl smiles at him, shaking the hand Alex just brought to her.
For a moment they stand still, all three of them there to support her.

They are like a real band, just before going on stage.

Someone knocks on the dressing room door, waking them up.

<Who is it?>

Luke gets up and walks over to the door, looking confused.

<Maybe it's Flynn..> Julie answers him, getting up as well and going to open the door.

Nick is on the other side, holding a bunch of dahlias in his hand. <Nick!>

Reggie laughs softly.
<This is what I call a real lover. Look at him, he's even got her favourite flowers! He's just adorable!>

<Dude...just, don't.. Jesus..> Alex tries to shush him, pulling Luke by the arm so he can't say or do things he might regret.

<We're going out Julie...see you in a bit.> Alex drags them both out, casting a glance at Julie to make sure everything is okay.

She nods back at him as she invites Nick to come in and sit with her. <Thanks for the flowers> she tells him <they're really beautiful>.

She picks them up and places them on the coffee table in front of the couch, smoothing her skirt before sitting down.

<You deserve them, Julie..> Nick smiles at her and Julie feels a sudden shiver run down her spine.

<Hey, Nick...how did you make it all the way backstage? I mean, Flynn had to fight hard and I was with her!>

<Oh, the guard! Do you remember Emma?>

<Of course I remember. She's the reason we're here. Your family friend, yes.>

<Yes, that's right. She told everyone I was coming so they let me through. As I told you, she's a good friend of my family. I've known her all my life.>