1.4 All But A Memory

Layla Gordinski marched down the empty, classified hall, a tablet clutched against her side. Her attire wasn't usual -- gray blazer, gray pencil skirt below the knees -- but a short floral dress. She knew Zaiden would demur, perhaps call her names and threaten to fire her for 'looking unprofessional' and therefore giving him a bad image as well. It was all part of her calculated plan to save those on the ground.

    She pushed the door of the conference room open. Everybody turned to her. She straightened her posture and moved to her reserved seat at the roundtable. Zaiden sent her glares but didn't speak on it.

    "To answer your question, Mr. President, after running several simulations, I have concluded that it will take, at most, a month to get this dropship built." Huxley stated, "If our generator is running smoothly, and the system doesn't shut down, we should have all the parts we need to assemble within a few days."

    Zaiden tapped a pen against his stubbled chin, furrowing his brows, "How long will it take if you work twenty-hour shifts a day?"

    Huxley's throat grew dry. Undoubtedly, the team would burn out if they worked that long each day.

    She tripped over her words at first, "Two weeks, maybe, but--"

    "But nothing." Zaiden interrupted. "I want the dropship done as soon as possible. If Earth is that survivable, we're getting off this flying death machine and living life down there. We mustn't tell the kids on the ground. Continue reading Aster Anson's vitals until we're prepared for take-off."

    Huxley's team sent her harsh glares for feeding him hurtful information. She stared at her shoes in shame.

    "I understand there are other people on the ground, but Aster will surely convince them into an alliance that will force them to help each other. If not, we'll be coming down more prepared anyway. Enough bullets to kill every last person that isn't ours. The human race will be returning back home." Zaiden turned to Layla, "Tell the council I have an assembly being prepared on Aster's behalf. Those impatient sons of bitches have been up my ass."

    Layla set her tablet on the conference room table. She tapped the screen before coming up with a message board. Previous reports could be read at the top of the screen, while a keyboard invaded the other half. Then, to Zaiden's surprise, she slid the tablet over to him.

    "How about you tell them yourself," She said.

    Zaiden's mouth dropped. He looked around the room in fury before pointing toward the door and demanding, "Get out!"

    In a line, scientists, engineers, and other government officials trailed out into the hall. As soon as the door shut, Zaiden grabbed Layla's shoulder. His tone was bitter, yelling at her as if she was a child being disciplined.

    "What the hell are you doing?"

    Layla shrugged. It kindled his rage.

    "You come in here dressed like a slut--"

    "Is that what you think of me?" Layla pushed him hard.

    He nearly fell out of his chair, grabbing the table. Then, he stood, cold eyes downcast on her. Layla's breath hitched with a strong surge of fear.